Planting Grass
(05-28-2020, 07:15 AM)Cooler Wrote: Perhaps the modern sprinkler systems allow for weekly or twice weekly watering, but the older ones cycled on daily.

Newer sprinkler controllers are pretty smart. They know when/where it's rained (within 100' of the controller), when it is going to rain, and can factor all kinds of variables like soil composition, sun/shade, temperature, grass type, evaporation rates etc. They can control each zone independently....way better than the old timer systems.
(05-28-2020, 07:53 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Newer sprinkler controllers are pretty smart. They know when/where it's rained (within 100' of the controller), when it is going to rain, and can factor all kinds of variables like soil composition, sun/shade, temperature, grass type, evaporation rates etc. They can control each zone independently....way better than the old timer systems.

That is good to know.  But deep watering will result in a healthier lawn.  You can only deep water one or twice a week or you will drown the grass.

Note:  I am not sure "drown" is the right word.  But too much water is not good for the grass either.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-27-2020, 09:21 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Looking around its going to be 900.00<>1200.00 for our lawn.  the budget committee may accept that.  I'm still investigating.  Im looking at Zoyzia.

How big is your front yard. I am looking at doing sod for mine in the fall too.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(05-28-2020, 10:15 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: How big is your front yard. I am looking at doing sod for mine in the fall too.

It's ~2000 sqft.  It would be ~4 pallets of sod at 450 sqft per pallet and would work out to somewhere about 1200.00.

(05-28-2020, 01:38 PM)crokett™ Wrote: It's ~2000 sqft.  It would be ~4 pallets of sod at 450 sqft per pallet and would work out to somewhere about 1200.00.

Is that installed? Sod is pretty easy to lay, though can be physically difficult depending on your fitness/health. What type of grass are you planning on? Most people here in Tennessee use fescue or bermuda. Fescue is a cool season grass that does well in the Spring and Fall but struggles in the heat of the Summer. Bermuda is a warm season grass that thrives in the warmer weather and is also more drought tolerant. It does go dormant (not die) and turns brown when temperatures drop. That is a deal killer for some. Bermuda is much easier, IMO to deal with as far as weed control. 

Good luck whatever you decide. Here is a link to NC State information. UT here in Tennessee has the same and has some really good information that will be applicable to your area. 

https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/grasses/
Not installed, I would install it. Not sure yet on the type. I know a guy who did zoysia, his lawn looks good and was mostly green last week, and we've had a cool spring. That or Bermuda. We have hot summers here. I'd rather have a green lawn in summer and a brown lawn in winter, since everything else is brown. Fescue would be the other way round.

thanks for the link.

(05-18-2020, 10:10 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I am in eastern/central NC, so a lot of clay.  My yard is currently mostly weeds.  I want grass.  I don't plan to actually plant any grass until fall.  I've never been able to keep spring grass alive over the summer.  I'm wondering what a) the best strategy is and b) what I can/should be doing throughout the summer.    I'm not sure there's enough grass there to try and save, so Im thinking about just killing what's there and starting over.   Or, is it better to do repeat applications of one of the weedkiller/fertilizers over the summer?   If I end up spraying, how long do I need to wait until I can plant seed?  I plan to get a soil test kit and test the soil then start amending over the summer.

In newer subdivions they strip the top soil and sell it. So here we have rich top soil mostly untouched since geronimo. The farm fields get tilled it planted and fertilized until  it gets a housing subdivion. When the developer stips the top soil for profit they leave very little thus clay is prevalent. If you install sod you will get enough top soil in roots to get the grass going. Almost every new home gets sod. But all also get underground sprinklers as well.
I would put in underground sprinlers and then lay sod.
(05-28-2020, 04:13 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Not installed,  I would install it.   Not sure yet on the type.  I know a guy who did zoysia, his lawn looks good and was mostly green last week, and we've had a cool spring.  That or Bermuda.  We have hot summers here.  I'd rather have a green lawn in summer and a brown lawn in winter, since everything else is brown.    Fescue would be the other way round.

thanks for the link.

Just looking at your original post. If you're going to wait for the fall and want to do bermuda, sod would be much better. Now is the time to seed with bermuda. Although you can lay sod whenever, I personally like doing it at a time when the grass is at its strongest. Summer for bermuda, Spring/Fall for fescue. Also, if it's only 2000 square feet I wouldn't bother with a sprinkler system, especially with bermuda. I have one and hardly turn it on as bermuda is very drought resistant. You will want to water it often when you first lay it. 

If you go with bermuda, follow this and you'll have a great lawn. 

https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1651
(05-23-2021, 01:04 PM)ROLINGLOUD Wrote: Because I need to spend a lot of time on real grass, I decided to put an artificial one.

Raised
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

kill all the grass, let the weeds grow, tell your neighbors your going for the natural yard look.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy