Stop using these immediately--Harbor Freight Recall
[Image: hf-stand-recall-notice-1589985357.jpg?resize=768:*]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The recall will trickle down to all the other brands that sell the same stands. If they look like the HF ones they are made by the same factory. Snap On had a recall on theirs a while back as well. I have a bunch of the HF jackstands but they are all 90s vintage or older.
Adjustable jack stands thoroughly creep me out. I like to stick a log or something solid under the vehicle just in case.
The only reason I posted it here is because a lot of members do shop at H-F even if this is not a woodworking product.
Just had a thread about this recall.

I have 2 of their stands, both older ones.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have two like this, buried somewhere i  one or the other of the two huge uhauls. Thanks for the post, I'll check them next week when we unpack the trucks. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I have two from Tractor Supply- I'll check into this- Thanks!!!

I always use two jack stands or a stack of 4x4's. Never just one stand. But if these might be a problem, I'll use them for something else.

What is the problem with them???

Here it is;  " Harbor Freight told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) it realized the tooling used to make the stands near Hangzhou, China, had become worn out due to age and was manufacturing inconsistent parts. As a result, the ratchet teeth might not be deep enough to hold the lifting extension in place if a shift in weight occurs,..."
(06-01-2020, 11:32 AM)daddo Wrote: I have two from Tractor Supply- I'll check into this- Thanks!!!

I always use two jack stands or a stack of 4x4's. Never just one stand. But if these might be a problem, I'll use them for something else.

What is the problem with them???

Here it is;  " Harbor Freight told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) it realized the tooling used to make the stands near Hangzhou, China, had become worn out due to age and was manufacturing inconsistent parts. As a result, the ratchet teeth might not be deep enough to hold the lifting extension in place if a shift in weight occurs,..."

I don't mind telling you that sounds scary.

In 1966 a girlfriend of mine got into a fender bender with her sister's VW Beetle.  She knew I did some simple bodywork and she asked me to look at the car.  I was just 18 years old. 

It was a small dent in the rear fender.  VW body panels were made from very soft steel.  I brought along my body hammer and dolly and we jacked up the car so I could work on the fender.  I had to remove the rear tire. 

I was banging away at the dent with my legs splayed out when the jack slipped and the car landed on the rear brake drum, neatly between my legs.  No injury at all, but a good scare. 

PS.  I finished the body work.  We got a replacement tail light lens from the dealer and a spray can of touch  up paint.  The work was not perfect as we were under a deadline (we had to fix it before here sister got home).  

It was good enough though.  Her sister never noticed.  And I learned a good lesson. "Don't work on a car using a jack for support".

Until just now, I had completely forgotten about that close call.
I had 2 of these, the part number matched, but mine were labeled as 3 ton.
The recall notice though, looked like 6 ton, had that p/n.
I took them to HF, and they told me there was some confusion, but that mine were recalled.
They replaced them, no questions.
They had a shopping cart full, they tossed my old ones into.
I stood in line longer then it actually took to make the exchange.
I bring this up as notice to check the p/n, and not rely on the weight rating.
(06-01-2020, 05:19 PM)rlnguy Wrote: I had 2 of these, the part number matched, but mine were labeled as 3 ton.
The recall notice though, looked like 6 ton, had that p/n.
I took them to HF, and they told me there was some confusion, but that mine were recalled.
They replaced them, no questions.
They had a shopping cart full, they tossed my old ones into.
I stood in line longer then it actually took to make the exchange.
I bring this up as notice to check the p/n, and not rely on the weight rating.

I have two sets of those silver-grayish JS's that I know were bought within the timeframe the recall covers (one set 3 T the other 6T) and the model numbers are different from those in the recall.  I'm still leery of using them, now.  Not sure if they are OK or if they will eventually expand the recall.  If I recall, offhand, that it covers those made between 2013(?) and 2018(?) (I do know the timespan seemed kind of a long timeframe) I wonder how they did not notice the worn tooling in all that time?
Rolleyes
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!