your experiences with deck resurfacers?
I have a PT pine deck about 13yrs old that's in need of some love. It surrounds an inground pool, splinters with the kids are always a concern.. was thinking about some of those thick resurfacing products that seal and fill all cracks.   Seems there is a wide variety of such products and price-points.  Rustoleum has always advertised one such product but it seems they've fallen to a class action lawsuit over the poor quality.  FLOOD products at the BORG seem well received, and then there's things like "DeckRevive" from Gulf Synthetics that sounds bulletproof and long lasting, but $$$. 

Do any of you have any time-tested experience with these sorts of products you could share?

thanks!
A friend used the Rustoleum....waste of money, the stuff peels when you look at it.

Ed
Spend the $$$, the kids are worth it. And I assume the $$$ is less than the cost of a new deck? Look at the warranty and see if they stand behind their product.
(05-24-2020, 03:21 PM)chrisntam Wrote: Spend the $$$, the kids are worth it. And I assume the $$$ is less than the cost of a new deck?  Look at the warranty and see if they stand behind their product.

Hah for sure..  To replace the whole surface with composite would be ~4x the cost and significantly more labor.
Whenever a question like this comes up, I always look at as investing a lot of time to do the job correctly. To me, it's worth it. I do a lot of research and try to pick the best materials. In your case, your family's safety is worth more than anything. I wish that I could suggest a product but I have no experience. Just look at it this way, when you are finished and enjoying the deck, you will know that you have done your best to protect your family.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-24-2020, 07:04 PM)museumguy Wrote: Whenever a question like this comes up, I always look at as investing a lot of time to do the job correctly. To me, it's worth it. I do a lot of research and try to pick the best materials. In your case, your family's safety is worth more than anything. I wish that I could suggest a product but I have no experience. Just look at it this way, when you are finished and enjoying the deck, you will know that you have done your best to protect your family.

For sure, and agreed. Trouble is, it's hard to discern which is product is actually the best for this purpose. More expensive isn't always best, so looking for non sponsored input/reviews where I can find them.
You can contact the manufacturer, talk to tech support or customer service, ask them which of their products fits your needs.
If you like to increase wood dry rot or are trying to put a shine on a junkyard toilet you found your product.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Our daughter used the Rustoleum product, and had to redo it it 2 years later, now the second application is failing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
wood expands and contracts-thats just a fact. id think that around a pool even more so. if you can hermetically seal all of the boards, it might last for a while but i cant see it lasting very long.
AND
when it does fail have fun cleaning it out of the pool and filter.