Replacement screw for LV skew rabbet plane
I stripped the end threads on the screw that holds the blade on my LV Skew Rabbet plane. Now it won't hold the blade. I'll call LV but my whole project is down because of this and I'm looking for a fast replacement. Screw checker says it is #5 0.8. Not sure if it is 12 or 16mm -- what is this type of screw head called, and where do you measure from?

Any idea where (besides Lee Valley) to get one? I don't see this particular head shape at McMaster.

[Image: i-tXjc6M7-M.jpg]

Thank you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I just checked mine with a metric die, and it is a 5 x .8 and that’s an oval head bolt. Do you have any other Veritas planes? Most of their stuff uses interchangeable parts, so what fits one will usually fit another.
(05-24-2020, 06:22 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: Do you have any other Veritas planes? Most of their stuff uses interchangeable parts, so what fits one will usually fit another.

Thanks, good idea. But yes, I did check, and unfortunately, no. Do you know how length is measured on oval head screws? From the start of the threads, or the edge of the oval?

[edit] I did find them on McMaster. I just need to decide it they are 12 or 16mm.

[edit 2] Internet says it is measured from the edge of the oval. Where is stope flaring outward and starts to curve back inward. Looks like 16mm then.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Get 16mm - you can always grind it smaller. Or get both.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
My guess would be thread length, but if it was urgent to me and it’s not too costly, I would probably get both.
Unless you're out in the boonies, you might be able to find a replacement at a local hardware store or lumber yard.  Check their "Jandorf" boxes and you might find what you need.
Thanks, all. Not much metric stuff here in Eugene, Oregon (not even at Fastenal). I ordered both lengths from McMaster. I'm about to take a shower. If this is a typical McMaster-Carr order, the order will be here when I'm done drying off.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Can you cut off the stripped part, and use the screw in the interim?

Simon
(05-24-2020, 06:52 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Can you cut off the stripped part, and use the screw in the interim?

Simon

No, but boy did I try to convince myself that I could! There's not a lot of screw engagement in the threaded plane bed. Believe me, I tried.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(05-24-2020, 07:03 PM)Aram Wrote: No, but boy did I try to convince myself that I could! There's not a lot of screw engagement in the threaded plane bed. Believe me, I tried.

What did you use? Since it's broken, no harm trying with a thin Dremel disc.

Simon