new tool purchases
I have a set of the Marples blue chip chisels that work well. I also have some specialty chisels for dovetail work from Koyamaichi and Blue Spruce. Like them all.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Need to start with a basic rough and tumble, may hurt them, and don't care set. Recommend  a older set of Stanley #60's or their Professional line from the 1980's. Then you can work on getting a nice set for the fine woodworking stuff.
I have a set of Stanley Fat Max chisels for carpentry and rough/tumble work.

I have a full set of Narex for the finer work  I got the 10-chisel set (1/4" to 2") from Lee Valley years ago when they first started carrying them.

LOML found a Greenlee Reliance paring chisel at a junk store several years ago.  I cleaned it up this winter and put it back into service.  So, I'd recommend to keep an eye on the flea markets as well.
I went through the same thing just last year and had a hard time choosing. What I ended up doing was I bought a couple chisels each from Two Cherries, Lie Nielsen and Pfeil Swiss Made. After using them for a while I can honestly say they are all excellent chisels and would be pleased with a set of either of them. If I had to pick just one now I would probably go with the Swiss Made as they seem to fit my hand a little better. I had to work the handles just a little to get them more comfortable and now they feel great, a very impressive tool. I believe I have 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch sizes.