new tool purchases
looking to buy a decent set of bench chisels, any thoughts on brand or sizes to start off with.
To chop what and how often? Hardwood, softwood, as a professional furniture maker, a once or twice a year wood butcher or something in between? Mortise chopping, dovetails, what? How much budget?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
For a "best buy" I think the Narex line gets good reviews (no hands on  experience), and for best tool I would place the Veritas PM-V11  chisels somewhere near the top. As for sizes, I seem to use the 1/2" the most,  but a set of 5 or so with the common fractional sizes up to 3/4" is really handy. My set doesn't have the 1.8" chisel, but I find many times i wish I had one in that size. Don't overlook the questions woodenfish asked, those are important in suggesting a usable set.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
These look very good:

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7355474
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Budget?

Low End:
Narex

Middle End:
Ashley Iles, Stanley (Sweetheart new production), Marples

High End:
Lee Valley Veritas, Lie-Nielsen, Blue Spruce

These are all Western style chisels. Japanese chisels are a bit different. Affordable Japanese brands that are decent are Iyoroi and Kumagoro, and Koyamaichi. I would stay away from Two Cherries. They used to make decent quality tools, but the high polish on their tools now make them a bear to properly prep for use. I would rank the Swiss Pfeil chisels and middle-of-the-pack. In the US, they simply aren't that popular.

Sizes depend on what kind of work you are planning. Many makers sell a basic set of 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4". No need to purchase any more until you figure out what you use more often.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Determine your budget and plan on spending 40% or more on your chosen sharpening system. My work and skill with hand planes and chisels improved notably after my sharpening improved. IMHO, a lesser quality chisel will still perform if sharpened correctly. The higher end chisels will tend to stay sharper longer sometimes at the detriment to sharpening effort. 

Certainly there are things about the higher end chisels which make them worth the price but some of those refinements you can make yourself. For instance changing handles, removing sharp corners on the sides, flattening the backs. Are you more comfortable spending time or money? 

I'm happy with my Narex but certainly wouldn't have a regret if my choice was one of the nicer examples.
(05-24-2020, 09:42 PM)Rmanier72 Wrote: looking to buy a decent set of bench chisels, any thoughts on brand or sizes to start off with.

Stumpy Nubs just did a review on chisels.  Take a look at it.
Surprisingly you can get a set of 5 or 6 chisels with wood handles at Harbor freight for around $10 and they are not to bad a chisel either. I think the name on then is Windsor. For really fine chisel work I do not know but they fill in the gap for a lot of uses. Make good scrapers if nothing else. Menards also has a Masterforce brand that I have been eyeing. They have a 2 inch chisel for around 16 dollars. It is not very often one has a need for a 2 incher but when it is needed it is needed. It is hard to justify premium price id there is a need for it only once a year

And for the record I have Two Cherries and I will put them up against any other make. But been using mine for over 25 years. If it is cranked neck chisels or flushing chisels it is Veritas all the way. The bottoms seem to get bend somewhat when they put the crank in the crank necked chisels and are really hard to flatten. A bend makes the cutting edge hard to control. Mine are Henry Taylor and I had to set then up in a precision vise and surface grind then to get them flat.

Tom
For dovetail joinery you'll need smaller sizes. Narex makes 3/8 and 5/8 which is good. I would start with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 if chopping dovetails is your purpose for these.

Cheap chisels are fine. Any sharp hunk of steel will cut. Only trick is, you will need to sharpen them often, and they can degrade quickly and take longer to sharpen. You’ll need to spend way more than the price of your chisels on sharpening equipment. So if you haven’t bought that stuff, start that thread next and brace for impact.
If you are checking back you have gathered that chisels are like a lot of tools and the "best" or "recommended" is going to vary with what you are going to do. If you are just starting out or unsure of where your woodworking will take you, a budget will at least get you viable recommendations price-wise. If you are still developing your direction (furniture, kitchen and bath, architectural, etc.) I would start 2nd hand and cheap. These tools will be sub-optimal but, will not cost much and you won't feel bad replacing them once you have a better idea of what you need.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.