Gluing ABS Plastic Sheet to wood
I am building a wooden box for outdoor.
Portion of this will be in ground. I have access to ABS plastic sheets.
I was thinking about gluing these sheets to the box, so the wood will last longer.
What kind of glue should I use ?

Thanks
Why not just “paint” the buried portion with construction adhesive?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Contact cement is often used commercially.

Edit: But not on ABS. MstrCarpenter is correct. You will need an epoxy or plastic cement of some sort. One product that works is DevCon Plastic Welder.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-25-2020, 11:15 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Why not just “paint” the buried portion with construction adhesive?

Flex Seal might work to.
I would just coat the bottom with roofing tar.  I did that for my mail box stand about 22 years ago.  It was pressure treated, but I coated the buried portion with roofing tar.  I have not dug it up, so I cannot say definitively that it has helped.

I am sure it is cheaper than the alternatives you have described (and faster and easier too).  Use the cheapest brush you can find and then throw it away.  The tar is ugly, but since it is below ground, who cares?

https://homesteady.com/how-12140054-pain...posts.html

Roofing tar is a traditional way of protecting fence posts. The tar adheres to the fence posts so that nothing can penetrate, prolonging the life of the wood by keeping insects and rot away. This method still works today and, while not attractive, treated fence posts don't need any maintenance. Treat your fence posts as soon as you get them, and they will last for the lifetime of the wood.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'm not so sure that contact cement will really bond to the ABS. I do know that it can very easily be welded, or melted together. I have done many repairs using only a pencil type soldering iron. first I hold the two pieces together with tape (or an extra set of hands if necessary) and "stitch weld" a few spots by melting at the seam, stirring a little, then smoothing it out. Once it's together I weld the entire seam.  Recently I repaired a J.D. snow-blower chute where the donut gear to rotate it broke off of the ring where the tall top metal portion was attached. I wasn't sure it would be strong enough so I used some strips cut from a black plastic (ABS) bucket as filler rod. The repair is stronger than original. Further proof this process works is understanding that ABS pipe is butt welded and buried without any concern of failing on wells and geothermal loops all the time.
I mention all of this just to say that you can just wrap the box with your sheets and weld the four sides and bottom together. No real need to secure it to the wooden box unless you wanted to. The ABS box will still be there long after the wooden box has turned back to dirt.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(05-25-2020, 07:31 AM)Jack01 Wrote: I am building a wooden box for outdoor.
Portion of this will be in ground. I have access to ABS plastic sheets.
I was thinking about gluing these sheets to the box, so the wood will last longer.
What kind of glue should I use ?

Thanks

E6100

https://www.ellsworth.com/products/adhes...cartridge/
(06-03-2020, 10:25 AM)Don_M Wrote: E6100

https://www.ellsworth.com/products/adhes...cartridge/

I have used E6000 for years.  It is a styrene based adhesive that remains flexible.  It is like silicone adhesive on steroids.  Much stronger but remains flexible.

The E6100 is a "non-sag" version of that same adhesive.  I don't know where it would be an advantage except if you are using it like construction adhesive. 

It bonds really well to non-porous and porous surfaces.  It would be a good choice.

However I still think painting the surface with roofing tar will work better and be easier.
Use abs cement you can get it right at home depot.
(06-04-2020, 07:42 AM)briman87 Wrote: Use abs cement you can get it right at home depot.
I thought that abs cement was a solvent type that slightly dissolved the surface to allow mating pieces to fuse ("weld").  If that is the case it would not work on disparate materials.

I might be wrong on this however.