stain on Cherry
Hey all, I wouldn't typically try to stain Cherry, BUT-  I live in an area of Mid Michigan that has had devastating floods and I'm batching out a bunch of Cherry plaques to present to volunteer first responders. I think the quickest way to get a consistent finish is to use a cherry stain to get that instant old cherry look. Yes, I know sun and time would be a more authentic look, but for those of you who have used stain, what do you like? Thanks!
A gel stain. I have also used a couple coats of garnet shellac.
Watco, (cherry or walnut), works well, with two or three coarts wiped on.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I agree with both Tony and Woodworm. I have done lots using both at the same time. I use a coat of Watco (color or plain) as a first coat. I only let it cure for 8 hours or so before applying an oil based gel stain. By not letting the Watco cure completely, it seems to allow the stain to still penetrate some so that you can get a deeper color. At the same time, the Watco acts to diminish blotching. After wiping off the stain, I let them both cure for about 24 hours before adding an oil based finish. I haven't tried putting a water based finish over this. I think if I did, I would put on a coat of shellac first.
Old Masters Wiping Stain 11504 Provincial, finished with a wipe on poly.
Have used this stain on cherry and pine, really like the color.
Honestly I would go with a dye versus a stain. From my experience Cherry can be difficult to stay in consistently. I think you’ll find a dye like Behlen will impart a more consistent look especially for boards that have a lot of softwood versus hardwood. As far as color you’ll just have to experiment a bit. But I would careful about going with an “cherry“ dye– it may. Impart too much of a red hue.

Just my two cents.
Thank you all! I'll do some test pieces with these suggestions.
If you are worried about cherry blotching, apply a coat of thin shellac (1# cut - Zinser Seal Coat cut 50-50 with DNA) and sand lightly before applying stain.
(05-26-2020, 07:31 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: If you are worried about cherry blotching, apply a coat of thin shellac (1# cut - Zinser Seal Coat cut 50-50 with DNA) and sand lightly before applying stain.
What Hank said, with a gel stain.
(05-25-2020, 03:28 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Watco, (cherry or walnut), works well, with two or three coarts wiped on.

+1.  Watco is great for quick-n-dirty coloration for cherry and walnut both.  If you want a more durable finish, a top coat of your choice can be added once the Watco is fully cured.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.