Cordless nailer gas or electric?
Anyone have experience with both. Which do u prefer and why? Thanks
I prefer gas. Specifically, Paslode. Where I work now, they use 3 different brands of battery nailguns and none perform that well. They all have trouble with harder material.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-27-2020, 05:59 PM)jussi Wrote: Anyone have experience with both. Which do u prefer and why?  Thanks

I've got a Hitachi/battery. 

It's a good match for me: I use it VERY seldom (2-4 times a year). Gas doesn't work well in this context since their cartridges loose their charge over time (although if I used it weekly I'd def do Paslode). 

The Hitachi has a gas canister inside it that's good for a crazy number of nails--I can't remember the number but it's way more than I need. 

I very much prefer pnueumatic nailers. This Hitachi is a beast--it's comically large and heavy. It would be a nuisance if I used it regularly--but if I needed a framing gun regularly I'd just buy a nicer portable compressor and go that route. 

However, it fits my needs very well. It's not for everyone. But if you seldom use a framer and don't want to upgrade your portable air compressor just for this one tool [so unattractive--my mini hotdog does all my other guns great] then I recommend it and would buy it again. 

Also note: I generally hate Hitachi. This is my only Hitachi. So know that a hater is giving a bit of love. 

-----

Oh--and I'm assuming you're looking for a framer. If you're looking for something smaller than skip cordless completely. Air is the droid you're looking for.
I have a paslode finish nailer and framing nailer.  While they work fin, as Murray says, for occasional use, they may not be ideal because the gas goes bad over time, and they use different gas cartridges.  The plus is that I looked at a number of electric ones and while there were some positive reviews, there were a bunch of negative reviews - some said they would not drive nails into hard materials,  others complained that they would frequently break.
Thanks for the replies.  I actually was looking for a 18 gauge.  Cords are quite annoying and the videos of the cordless on youtube made them look pretty enticing.  Maybe I'll hold off for now.
I'd go electric. So much easier to just recharge a battery vs. go buy some more cartridges.

My cordless nailer is 10 years old. It's powered by 18V NiCd batteries and will bury a 2 1/2" 16 GA nail into pine.

I don't know what it would do around oak or maple. Don't work too much with hardwoods.

Since the manufacturers are now offering cordless framing nailers that will drive 3 1/2" .131 nails, I can only imagine that the cordless nailers are better now than they were 10 years ago.
I have the Ryobi models that go with the rest of my cordless tools. Works great for occasional use. I did a wall of built in cabinets and a desk with it and did not use up one battery. Walnut and plywood no issues at all with penetration.
(05-28-2020, 11:44 AM)Juss1 Wrote:  I actually was looking for a 18 gauge.  Cords are quite annoying 

I, with respect, disagree. 

I have so many air guns I don't know how many I have. 15? 20? Never counted. 
As I said above, I also have a battery framing gun. 

18 gauge brad nailers are my main gun, followed closely by 18 gauge staplers. I use these LOTS.

If you use one seldomly then don't worry: it doesn't really matter. Get what floats your boat. Consider Harbor Freight air guns--they're one of HF's secret gems (can't much go wrong with an air gun). 

When it starts to matter is when you use one often. Trust me: you don't want to use that battery 18 gauge gun all day. It's just too heavy (unless you're big and strong--I'm neither). 

Cords are super annoying if you have the wrong cord (which most folks do). Don't use the normal thick and heavy traditional air lines. Those are terrible. Get a thin and lightweight Flexeel air hose:

These change everything. 

They are super lightweight--you don't feel them. So your gun and your cord move easily and don't weigh you down. You can easily work all day with this. 

I also use a super lightweight mini-hotdog compressor for all my guns.

The beauty of this method is it's ultra compatible with new guns you get and you never have to worry about batteries--which let's face it: take management. 

------------

There are a few exceptions:
1) I respect battery cable staplers for installing electrical. Most electricians don't want to bother with a compressor and line. 
2) I like battery framing guns for reasons said previously. 

However, if you're mostly working in one site, have mortal size and strength, and will use it more than seldomly, consider going air AND DEF ADD A QUALITY LIGHTWEIGHT HOSE. 

Good luck
I will have experience next week.

I have a 15 gauge angle nailer from Porter-Cable.  It has caused me nothing but grief.  I had it out for repair a couple of years ago ($75.00) and was told it was caused by not using it for a long time.  (Really?).

It has never fed reliably and only goes up to 2.00". 

Yesterday it started shooting two nails at a time.  It made a pretty big hole. 

I was adding crown molding in a bathroom.  The small space plus the compressor plus the hoses made the job hellish even before the misfiring issue. 

I decided to buy a Milwaukee battery powered 15 gauge finish nailer.  It has good online reviews.  It should arrive Thursday, but shipping has been iffy lately.  If it does, I will finish in the bathroom over the weekend and report.  

It is a pricey piece at $429.00 but the Porter Cable cost me $230.00 (per my recollection) back in 2000, which works out to $349.00 in today's dollars.  Add the $75.00 repair and I am back at $429.00.  So it seems fair. 

Hopefully it will give better service.  It is supposed to give 700 nails per charge and that is more than I will need.  And a full recharge is supposed to take an hour. 

It also has a cutoff that prevents shooting an empty gun.  It simply won't fire if there are less than 5 nails left in the magazine.  It also has a LED light.  I  never felt a need for one, but that might change once I am used to it. 

I will let you know how it works out.

Addendum:  I forgot to mention that the price includes the charger and a battery and a carry case.  The gun will shoot 1½" to 2½ nails.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/...ish+nailer
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.