finishing front door
I am going to refinish my front door and sidelights, both exterior and interior sides.  For the exterior I plan on a light sanding with 220 grit paper and then putting on a couple of coats of finish. I saw in an earlier post where General Finishes 450 is good for the exterior.  Am I correct.  For the interior, I need to sand off the old finish ( the dog got to it) and was wondering if I could just finish it with shellac  as it drys quickly.  Also I could just rehang the door and refinish the inside after it is hung.  I would appreciate your ideas.
artj
(05-28-2020, 08:56 PM)artj Wrote: I am going to refinish my front door and sidelights, both exterior and interior sides.  For the exterior I plan on a light sanding with 220 grit paper and then putting on a couple of coats of finish. I saw in an earlier post where General Finishes 450 is good for the exterior.  Am I correct.  For the interior, I need to sand off the old finish ( the dog got to it) and was wondering if I could just finish it with shellac  as it drys quickly.  Also I could just rehang the door and refinish the inside after it is hung.  I would appreciate your ideas.
artj

What finish is on both sides now?  That makes a big difference with respect to what you can put over them w/o stripping.  Shellac is probably OK on the inside regardless what's on it now because it sticks to almost everything.  The outside, however, might be a different story.  GF's Exterior 450 is a good product, I've used it on an exterior door, but I would read the surface preparation instructions to see if you can apply it over an existing finish.  

John