Handworks 2020 cancelled
Got this e-mail overnight:

Thank you very much for registering for Handworks 2020.

Unfortunately we have decided that 2020 just isn't the year for Handworks, we are sure no explanation is needed but the website will reflect further details in the coming months.

The good news is that it will definitely be rescheduled for 2021, dates to be determined.  Please keep an eye on the website to re-register.  We thank you greatly for your enthusiasm!

We hope everyone stays safe and we look forward to seeing you all next year.

Argh.......
As expected. No surprise here. I wouldn't have taken my chances anyway.

Simon
(05-30-2020, 06:27 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: As expected. No surprise here. I wouldn't have taken my chances anyway.

Simon

Chicken Little strikes again.
BontzSawWorks.net
(05-30-2020, 12:53 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Chicken Little strikes again.

Are you referring to the Chicken Little that has killed over 100,000 people so far?
(05-30-2020, 12:53 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Chicken Little strikes again.

Guilty as charged. There's no way I'd risk losing my life or suffering from a permanent lung damage over some woodworking shopping (let's face it. It's a shopping event no matter how people sugar coat it). Some yet-to-be peer-verified researches suggested that a young fellow could lose  some10 years of his or her life as a result of the infection. I don't have that many 10 years of life left to be frank.
Laugh 

In short, I don't want to be any statistic.

Simon
It's not just the concern for attendees, but exhibitors as well. I'd bet half of the invited exhibitors have chosen not to attend, which makes it even less viable economically to hold the event.

Ironically, the World Health Organization just yesterday announced that those who are healthy, don't have symptoms, and don't work around those infected with COVID-19 don't need to wear a mask. I rather doubt the CDC will adopt the same recommendations.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'll tell you, I'm in NJ and here its no joke; most densely populated state in the union creates its own problems. People I know who got it and survived say its no picnic, and despite getting out of the hospital they are only 80%, its a long recovery period. I'd rather avoid it if I can.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-30-2020, 07:50 PM)Admiral Wrote: I'll tell you, I'm in NJ and here its no joke; most densely populated state in the union creates its own problems.  People I know who got it and survived say its no picnic, and despite getting out of the hospital they are only 80%, its a long recovery period.  I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Yep. High density areas, pre existing medical problems, elderly, poverty, etc.. And yes the Chicken Little effect has taken over to some extent. I see it every day. I am in that older category as well, but healthy. ( I think ) It's a shame the organizers lost all that time and energy putting this together. Perhaps net year.
BontzSawWorks.net
A Hill, WHO is a joke. In a way, its poor performance in the outbreak is why so many people have died. Costco is decisive and responsible with its mask wearing practice, just as is the Handworks organizer who cancelled its show. I love it.

Simon
(05-31-2020, 07:46 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: A Hill, WHO is a joke. In a way, its poor performance in the outbreak is why so many people have died.  Costco is decisive and responsible with its mask wearing practice, just as is the Handworks organizer who cancelled its show. I love it.

Simon

Just for the record, I'm not endorsing WHO's recommendation.  Just citing it.  Probably 90% of those wearing masks are doing it incorrectly and not maintaining their masks.  To me, that's a false sense of security.  CDC still recommends wearing "cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."  They have not changed their position since early April.

I've been tracking the stats for the US and various states.  The case rate is declining, but very slowly.  The death rate (number of deaths per cases) is rapidly declining.  I think we've figured out how to protect the most vulnerable.  Problem is, you can't force the most vulnerable to take precautions.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill