router plane
Sometimes...just the original one will come along....

And, work just fine...

Stanley No. 71-1/2, type 4......

Of course, you might have to build a box to store it in....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
adamcherubini Wrote:I’m just curious if any else tips their’s forward to alter depth of cut or if that’s even possible with a footed cutter?
I suspect that has as much to do with the curved front that most of the footed cutters have as it does the cutter itself. I have a footed cutter that I made with a straight front...I'll have to give it a try.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(05-31-2020, 09:47 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Sometimes...just the original one will come along....

And, work just fine...

Stanley No. 71-1/2, type 4......

Of course, you might have to build a box to store it in....
Rolleyes

Here in Iowa, I have come across two, to in my 45 years of woodworking and going to flea markets, auctions, and antique stores. Here I have a better chance of getting a scraper plane than a router plane. That is why I didn't even ask about a 71.

Tom
I had already did research into the two before asking the question and was leaning toward the Veritas before I asked. And finding out that no one, who has one, wants to part with theirs, tells me that it is even a more useful than I might have first thought.

So thanks for your replies.

Tom
(05-31-2020, 04:28 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I had already did research into the two before asking the question and was leaning toward the Veritas before I asked. And finding out that no one, who has one, wants to part with theirs, tells me that it is even a more useful than I might have first thought.

So thanks for your replies.

Tom

I own a Lie Nielsen large router plane and I am very happy with it. Very useful tool. I cannot comment on the Veritas plane as I don’t own one.
I've owned both. Originally got the Veritas, and I generally really like their tools. But I was never really happy with the angled handles on it. Then used the LN one multiple times in a class while making a rocking chair over a couple weeks. At the end of that I sold the LV and bought the LN.

From what I recall the blade adjustment, etc was great on the LV. I just thought the vertical handles on the LN made actual operation and control of the tool easier.

Yes, the best assessment is done when you use a tool for a while. I got the Veritas instead of the LN after having had the opportunity to use both of them in a club shop. I like to rest my arms on the bench for control and found the Veritas handle design perfect for that. The large number of cutters may be important for some but not me. In the end, I chose modern innovation, but for the smaller one, I don't like a round shank.

Simon
Simon, several years ago I posted a modification for the Small Router plane, which fixes any blade twisting.

[Image: ModifyingTheLVSmallRouterPlane_html_623dbba5.jpg]

The rear of the shaft receives a little grind into a triangle. This back the blade then locks into the blade holder ...

[Image: ModifyingTheLVSmallRouterPlane_html_3bc60228.jpg]

Article here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,

That modification has been on my list for a while.  I have a question: you ground the flats fairly wide.  Is that necessary, or would a flat just wide enough to register properly against the body be sufficient?
Bill, the flats could probably have been shallower. This was an original idea, and I was working it out.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com