considering remodel - where to begin?
(06-04-2020, 12:53 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You can't leave "move" off the table.  

If that is anytime soon and you plan to stay in the area, just do it now.  You will very likely be money ahead and you won't have the construction hassle.  

If you would move out of the area, weight the cost of the room vs the length of time you would enjoy it.   If you really would enjoy it, and a local move is out of the question,  do it sooner than later though so you enjoy it for a longer time.

yah, we made the decision to stay put for 10yrs until the kids are in college, and then move out of the area to a warmer climate, hopefully to the "forever" home. Moving now to the same area just to a bigger house, only to move again in < 10yrs, all said, would probably "cost" as much as an addition, and create more cost (more taxes, higher mortgage etc). 

lots to consider!
If the "cost" is the same, the mortgage is the same and the taxes are the same most places. But, your done without 6 months of carnage. 10 years is more than enough time to recoup cost of either though.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(06-07-2020, 09:44 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: If the "cost" is the same, the mortgage is the same and the taxes are the same most places.   But, your done without 6 months of carnage.  10 years is more than enough time to recoup cost of either though.

True but it would still mean moving twice in 10yrs rather than once.  And it's more than just dollars though.  Part of it too, being like most on this forum I would think, I do all kinds of projects, building my castle so to speak. When we do move, we want it to be to a place we can really make our own, build an out building wood-shop rather than the garage, some land for some animals, build a homestead as it were and grow old there.  The idea of moving away from what we have at this point, just to get another bedroom in the same town, and not being able to start on that "forever homestead" just seems wasteful, especially with all that we've done to the current house over the past 15yrs. 

Nothing set in stone yet of course, just figuring out the right steps to lay-down and meet long term goals while having the space we need in the short term.
4 to 6 weeks of moving pain vs 6 to 9 months of living in remodel hell? If it goes that well... Considering most folks luck with contractors (both in scheduling and in work quality) do you really want to do that extensive of a project?

I predict that once you have a couple of quotes, you will find moving to an existing structure that meets your new wants will be cheaper even if you do a full service move.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
As someone who has done this many times, and in a previous life was a homebuilder, a good architect is the key to beginning the process. Don't just go visit one, and let them do it. Interview several and choose the one you like the best, like their work and the way they communicate. References can help. They can also help you through the process of building. In many cases they know the best subcontractors and can make recommendations to at least help you get started.

If you choose the right people, this can be a very nice adventure; with the wrong people it becomes a nightmare. Think about the former rather than the latter. Just remember, DO NOT pay anyone (but the excavator) by the hour. Get bids from at least three subs on every segment or "job" and then choose the best fit for you. As always, the cheapest is not always the best.

Good luck,

Doug
(06-01-2020, 10:19 AM)mound Wrote: Hi all,

I have a two-story colonial house where the "left half" is two-stories plus a basement, and the right half is a 2-car garage in front with a family room behind, it all on a slab (no 2nd story above the garage or family room just the attic)

My wife and I are beginning the process of thinking through just what it would take to build an addition above the family room and garage, essentially making the whole house 2-stories. Considerations as to "move or remodel" are a different conversation. 

I've never dealt with contractors, architects, builders etc and don't really know where to begin with the whole process of finding the right people and not getting screwed in the process. 

Looking to hear your thoughts, discussion, horror stories, questions to ask, things to think about, process to follow etc.. etc from those of you who have had successes and failures with remodeling your homes in the past. 

thanks!

Not sure what the foot print is from the photo but is the garage family room the same width as the rest of the house?  If so you may ask if they could just lift that structure and add underneath.  From the sounds of the project whatever you do the foundation on the one story side will have to be beefed up to hold a second story and possibly torn up for drains
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.