Need help painting house
Finally started painting my house. It is hardie plank and hardie shake. When I originally painted the house 8 years ago with a brush, it took forever to paint the shake. Sounds crazy but I actually had to use an artist brush to get paint into all the cracks.

I would like to try to spray the shakes to hopefully save time. I will paint the lap and trim with a brush. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a spray rig since this is a one time use for me.

Does anyone know if any of the sprayers at Harbor Freight would do OK for this job. Or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

A  sprayer would be ideal for that. 

There are lots of reviews for sprayers on line.  I think you should do some research.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-02-2020, 11:41 AM)Randy C Wrote: Finally started painting my house. It is hardie plank and hardie shake. When I originally painted the house 8 years ago with a brush, it took forever to paint the shake. Sounds crazy but I actually had to use an artist brush to get paint into all the cracks.

I would like to try to spray the shakes to hopefully save time. I will paint the lap and trim with a brush. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a spray rig since this is a one time use for me.

Does anyone know if any of the sprayers at Harbor Freight would do OK for this job. Or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

I can't comment on the HF sprayers, but something like this is what I have. 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-TrueCo...902942-_-N

Everything else I have tried doesn't do a great job with house paint. This is probably more than you're looking to spend, but I highly recommend it and it will make you a better painter. By that I mean faster and your work will look better-more even coverage, and you will probably use less paint. I prefer this to the traditional 'rig' (which I also have) because clean-up is way easier. It's heavy and it's not for big jobs because it doesn't hlod much paint, but it is the bees knees for small jobs.
Rent one from Sherwin Williams
If you can't find a rental look at CL or such and buy a used one.  If you don't want to keep it, put it back where you got it!

I stained my Western Cedar house in about 5 hours using a Graco XP5.  Still have it
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-02-2020, 05:33 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Rent one from Sherwin Williams

^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would brush or roll the cedar shake siding. Only spraying it won’t push paint into cracks and pores. Spraying and then back brushing or rolling would do very well but then you have to ask yourself if the time it takes to prep for spraying and cleaning out a sprayer is worth it. In many cases, the time is nearly a wash. I spent 15 years working as a painter.

If you do spray, consider renting an airless for probably $75-100 a day. I haven’t seen prices lately. HD rents professional spray rigs. Be careful not to use a tip size larger than you should.