Graduation Card Box
Does anyone have any ideas, photos or plans for a card box? My son graduates this year and it is tradition here in WI to build a card box for graduation cards that are received at the party.
I don’t know the proper name but 3 years ago my Sons box looked like the Graduation hat he wore and I made the flat top to lift off to put cards inside. Sorry no picture but glad it was large and the side tassel really set it off. I do remember I painted it school colors.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for. I made these two stationery boxes last fall for 2 couples to put their wedding cards they received. The larger one is box joint sides with mitered base and top. The panels are veneered for the top and bottom. It’s based off of a WoodSmith article. The smaller box fits 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It’s a traditional mitered and splined box with veneered panels.

The funky tops are both copper veneer that was requested by my son. The couples are college friends of my son and the veneer has the primary college colors where they both met. The copper comes from Joe Woodworker and gets applied with contact cement. These pics were taken before the Brusso stop hinges were installed.

[Image: full]

John
(06-02-2020, 06:35 PM)Bucko Wrote: I don’t know the proper name but 3 years ago my Sons box looked like the Graduation hat he wore and I made the flat top to lift off to put cards inside. Sorry no picture but glad it was large and the side tassel really set it off. I do remember I painted it school colors.

I'm planning on a box approximately 20" wide 12" high and 12" deep...do you think that would be large enough?
(06-03-2020, 09:50 AM)jstraw Wrote: Not sure if this is what you’re looking for.  I made these two stationery boxes last fall for 2 couples to put their wedding cards they received.  The larger one is box joint sides with mitered base and top.  The panels are veneered for the top and bottom. It’s based off of a WoodSmith article.  The smaller box fits 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  It’s a traditional mitered and splined box with veneered panels.  

The funky tops are both copper veneer that was requested by my son. The couples are college friends of my son and the veneer has the primary college colors where they both met.  The copper comes from Joe Woodworker and gets applied with contact cement.  These pics were taken before the Brusso stop hinges were installed.

Very nice, but probably not big enough.