Help identify this plane
I recently bought this plane along with a no. 5 1/4. Both are in a little rough shape but plan on restoring them the best I can to be users in the shop. I’m not sure of the manufacturer as it has not distinguishing makers marks. It has a Stanley sweet heart blade on it so I know that isn’t original to the plane. I’m thinking it is older because it has no frog adjustment screw but has lateral adjustment. And info you guys can provide would be great

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-03-2020, 08:06 AM)briman87 Wrote: I recently bought this plane along with a no. 5 1/4. Both are in a little rough shape but plan on restoring them the best I can to be users in the shop. I’m not sure of the manufacturer as it has not distinguishing makers marks. It has a Stanley sweet heart blade on it so I know that isn’t original to the plane.  I’m thinking it is older because it has no frog adjustment screw but has lateral adjustment. And info you guys can provide would be great

Believe that's Sargent made but not necessarily branded by them - possibly sold under Fulton name.  Look on the undersides of frog and lever cap.  If three digit number starting with a 4 i.e. 408, 412, etc.  then is pretty sure bet it's Sargent made.  I forget their numbering scheme so not sure what their equivalent was for a Stanley No 5.  Blade adjustment knob gone or just simply removed for the photo?

Andrew
My guess would be Fulton too.
(06-03-2020, 08:35 AM)med-one Wrote: My guess would be Fulton too.

I do not know anything about a Fulton but it does kind of look like a Craftsman I have somewhere.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don't know if this is true of all Sargent planes, but the ones I have are reverse from Stanleys in the blade advance screw: you need to turn the opposite direction to adjust the blade.
"Fulton" was a house brand of Sears & Roebuck Co.

Sargent's secondary line of tools was called "Hercules".

Number under the frog would be a "409".    Sometimes also marked under the lever cap.

#409 was the same as a Stanley #4.....414 is Sargent's version of the Stanley #5

Stanley used right hand threads at the start...then went with left hand threads on the depth adjust wheel.  

OP's plane could just as easily have been a Stanley made for hardware store suppliers version....type 2 frog, before the notched versions.  No "waist" on the brass bolts. 

Plane was made before the frog adjust bolt feature was used....base is different,

This is my Sargent # 414c.   409 under the lever cap.
And a view around back...Type 4

Attached Files Image(s)

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have two planes with teh same shape stamped lateral lever. On is marked c115 the othe c115 on the underside of the cap iron.
So most likely the same.
The makers for Sears were Stanley, Sargent and Ohio tool.
The later Craftsman with the blue logo I always thought were made by Stanley. Not a fact but what I thought.
I have a large plane it has a more modern Craftsman cap iron and it is very similar to a Stanley I think someone lost the part and used the Craftsman one.
(06-03-2020, 10:35 AM)bandit571 Wrote: "Fulton" was a house brand of Sears & Roebuck Co.

Number under the frog would be a "409".    Sometimes also marked under the lever cap.

#409 was the same as a Stanley #4.....414 is Sargent's version of the Stanley #5

Stanley used right hand threads at the start...then went with left hand threads on the depth adjust wheel.  

OP's plane could just as easily have been a Stanley made for hardware store suppliers version....type 2 frog, before the notched versions.  No "waist" on the brass bolts. 

Plane was made before the frog adjust bolt feature was used....base is different,

(06-03-2020, 08:23 AM)andrewb Wrote: Believe that's Sargent made but not necessarily branded by them - possibly sold under Fulton name.  Look on the undersides of frog and lever cap.  If three digit number starting with a 4 i.e. 408, 412, etc.  then is pretty sure bet it's Sargent made.  I forget their numbering scheme so not sure what their equivalent was for a Stanley No 5.  Blade adjustment knob gone or just simply removed for the photo?

Andrew

I looked under the lever cap and there is nothing under there I didn't think to snap a picture of the underside. The knob is there just removed as I was cleaning all wood shavings and grim build up. The Stanley No 5 1/4 was painted for some reason the guy I bought them from said he uncle was metal worker and from what he has seen tended to coat everything with some sort of paint usually lead based.

(06-03-2020, 10:35 AM)bandit571 Wrote: "Fulton" was a house brand of Sears & Roebuck Co.

My lever cap does not have those 3 slots on the back of the cap it is just one big one. I'll have to take a picture when I get back home.
Here is the picture of the brass blade adjustment screw and the other side of the lever cap

Attached Files Image(s)