SAWSTOP: Tripped the Brake Cartridge: UPDATE
I was enjoying a good day in the shop when all of a sudden: wham!

Sorry, no blood and gore: I did not come close to coming in contact with the blade. At this point, my theory is
that the aluminum fence on my miter gauge came in contact with the throat plate. That would not normally be an issue, but
I had just adjusted the blade to make a 45 degree cut, and the blade was in "slight" contact with the plate.  I know I should have been more diligent and made the necessary adjustments to make sure the blade cleared the plate, but unfortunately, I did not.

At the end of the day:

$92.64 for a replacement Freud Fusion Blade

$84.02 for a new brake cartridge

$176.66 for a lesson in establishing conduction paths between the operator and the blade.

The good news:  I was able to type this with all 10 fingers intact.

Post Mortem Analysis has been completed.

Cause of brake cartridge firing: miter gauge fence came in contact with blade.

That is all.
Could have been dumber and/or more expensive. I wrecked a Forrest Dado King, the dado cartridge, and nearly bent the arbor trying to get them out, just because I carelessly neglected to remove a staple. </trueconfessions>

I cried a lot over the price of a replacement Dado stack, and in the end, I took it to a shop catering to the industrial & oil field business, where they straightened multiple plates, replaced the missing teeth, sharpened everything up, and re-balanced the set, all at the cost of $40 and the incidental removal of all markings on the plates. So hopefully there isn't a next time, but if there is, you may have additional options beyond chucking the blade.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(06-03-2020, 03:44 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Could have been dumber

I prefer bone-headed, but I cant argue with dumb
Big Grin
I think each SS owner gets to experience at least one . . . doh! . . . event. I tried to cut some UHMW material and . . . thunk! The UHMW material was the 'static dissipating' kind . . . I knew this but . . . thunk!
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Does the brake firing startle you guys?
BTDT.

My event happened 6+ years ago.  Was in a rush on a commission shadow box; long day at work, followed by a long evening in the shop.  Needed to cut a 45 miter.  Laid the blade over, but failed to account for the change in geometry with respect the fence on my Incra 1000SE.

Still have the blade embedded in the brake as a reminder of expensive haste.

Edit to add: It happens fast, real fast. Still have the Incra, and I've done nothing to it since that night. I've shown some friends that fence, and they can't find the point that contacted the blade. I can, because I was the one that put it there.
With the dust collection system running and my hearing protection on, my reaction was less startle and more "what the hell" .

(06-03-2020, 03:52 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Does the brake firing startle you guys?
I have already contacted SS and they ask that the cartridge be returned so they can do their post-mortem. I have no problem shipping it to them it it helps them improve an already great product.

(06-03-2020, 03:53 PM)WxMan Wrote: BTDT.

My event happened 6+ years ago.  Was in a rush on a commission shadow box; long day at work, followed by a long evening in the shop.  Needed to cut a 45 miter.  Laid the blade over, but failed to account for the change in geometry with respect the fence on my Incra 1000SE.

Still have the blade embedded in the brake as a reminder of expensive haste.
(06-03-2020, 03:54 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: With the dust collection system running and my hearing protection on, my reaction was less startle and  more "what the hell" .

My reaction, too.