SAWSTOP: Tripped the Brake Cartridge: UPDATE
It is gratifying (if not pricey) to know that the system works incredibly well.
(06-03-2020, 03:53 PM)WxMan Wrote: BTDT.

Needed to cut a 45 miter.  Laid the blade over, but failed to account for the change in geometry with respect the fence on my Incra 1000SE.

Same experience here. I now use a wood sacrificial fence on my Incra miter gage. The event itself is not very dramatic, the hit to the wallet is significant.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I got to demonstrate the SawStop at a show twice. I was startled both times.
VH07V  
(06-03-2020, 01:57 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I was enjoying a good day in the shop when all of a sudden: wham!

Sorry, no blood and gore: I did not come close to coming in contact with the blade. At this point, my theory is
that the aluminum fence on my miter gauge came in contact with the throat plate. That would not normally be an issue, but
I had just adjusted the blade to make a 45 degree cut, and the blade was in "slight" contact with the plate.  I know I should have been more diligent and made the necessary adjustments to make sure the blade cleared the plate, but unfortunately, I did not.

At the end of the day:

$92.64 for a replacement Freud Fusion Blade

$84.02 for a new brake cartridge

$176.66 for a lesson in establishing conduction paths between the operator and the blade.

The good news:  I was able to type this with all 10 fingers intact.

I had the same exact experience cutting a 45 with my Osborne miter gauge , didn’t lock down the extension securely. BANG. Picture looks the same as yours but with the stock Sawstop blade.
(06-03-2020, 03:52 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Does the brake firing startle you guys?

Like the OP; it is more of a . . . huh!?! . . . reaction than anything else.  Very anticlimactic. They must have used a really hot mic in the demo videos we all used to see years ago. The noise is nothing like that; at least with ear protection on and who uses a tablesaw without PPE?
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

It was pretty loud when I demo-ed it.
VH07V  
The sound is not muted but as GeeDub pointed out, it is not going to startle anyone who wears hearing protection. Sawstop demos we see are mostly done without dust collection on.

Simon
Felder will give Sawstop lots of competition . Why destroy a blade and cartridge if you don't have too? Will be glad when Felder and Altendorf put their technology on cabinet saws..
I had a tool maker friend tell me he fired his and that he cut the cartage off and that the blade was fine. I do not have a saw stop so I can only state what jim told me. But I would consider him to be a reliable source. Something to think about.

Tom
(07-22-2020, 12:00 PM)Troubleshooter Wrote: Felder will give Sawstop lots of competition . Why destroy a blade and cartridge if you don't have too? Will be glad when Felder and Altendorf put their technology on cabinet saws..

Has someone come up with an alternative system that can be sold in the US?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.