Ridiculous suggestions
(06-12-2020, 05:24 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Any objective data to support this?
Uhoh 
Simon

Oh, sure, absolutely - after extensive empirical studies over a period of years, each of which have been peer reviewed by a number of éminence grise woodworkers who shall remain unnamed, I published my Ph.D. thesis on this question!  
Laugh 

But seriously, anecdotal, and a couple from my personal observation.  Example is a guy in my neighborhood who bought a SS, nice machine for sure, but he seemed to think he didn't need different pushsticks for different operations, featherboards and holddown fixtures, or that roller stands or outfeed tables might come in handy and that rip blades were unnecessary.  More of an observation of mine that younger people who didn't have the opportunity to get the safety training given in Jr. High and HS wood shop classes seem oblivious about proper technique.   So I took him into my shop and showed him a few things, and gave him an old book on tablesaw techniques I had sitting around.

I guess my point was just because the saw won't bite you doesn't mean all sorts of other bad things can't happen, and some people are conditioned into a plug and play mentality when there's a whole lot more involved with serious machines.  And don't misunderstand, I'm not bashing SS at all, its great technology - just not a substitute for using proper technique.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-13-2020, 07:24 AM)Admiral Wrote: I published my Ph.D. thesis on this question!  
Laugh
I also have a couple of PhDs under my belt ........projects half done.
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Simon
(06-13-2020, 09:59 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I also have a couple of PhDs under my belt ........projects half done.
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Simon

Well, there's also the progression; BS (B888 S888), MS (more S888) and PhD (piled higher and deeper)!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
A degree fortified with Special High Intensity Training

Big Grin

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
“shoottmx” Wrote:A degree fortified with Special High Intensity Training

Big Grin
I spend my share of time on the Special High Intensity Training list.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(06-13-2020, 07:39 PM)shoottmx Wrote: A degree fortified with Special High Intensity Training

Big Grin

g

You must have been in the Military. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I have an old ridiculous suggestion that I have seen many times

Measure twice cut once.

Who in their right mind needs to cut twice. 
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Rolleyes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-14-2020, 11:59 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Who in their right mind needs to cut twice. 
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Rolleyes

Oh well....sometimes you do - to avoid burn marks or tear-outs on a thick piece.

Simon
Smirk
(06-14-2020, 11:59 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: You must have been in the Military. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I have an old ridiculous suggestion that I have seen many times

Measure twice cut once.

Who in their right mind needs to cut twice. 
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Rolleyes

I cut it two times and it still was to short
(06-14-2020, 12:49 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I cut it two times and it still was to short

Well try it again.  Third time is a charm.
Smirk
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-13-2020, 09:59 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I also have a couple of PhDs under my belt ........projects half done.
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Simon

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

I just found out that UVA re-named a hall after my advisor. His first PhD student made a small contribution.

I need to share that with him (says the guy who needed a 2yr extension to finish
Blush )

Where do I need to give the graduation address in order to receive the Honorary Masters Degree in Procrastination?
Winkgrin 

I do need to find time to finish the mallet on my lathe.
Sigh
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.