Advice on a HVLP spray system
(06-07-2020, 09:18 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: This doesn't seem very well thought through.   Certainly you realize that the turbine is going to blow massive amounts of air regardless of whether it is a bleeder or non -bleeder ?   The motor needs to be cooled regardless of type; and that air exhausts at the box every second it's running.  If it's stirring up dust that ruins your finish, your spray space is too dirty to begin with.  A bleeder gun may make it easier to deal with the problem immediately, but the underlying problem still exists.

For me, I think HVLP Turbines are easier and faster to dial in.   It's not easy to find an affordable compressor that will deliver a lot of air consistently to run even an HVLP gun. Spraying shellac is easy.  A craftsman 2hp ain't going to be very good at spraying thick waterborne cabinet paint like Kem-Aqua or Renner 2k.  For those advocating compressed air,  I also think too little emphasis has been put on what it really  takes to get clean, dry air to the gun tip.  

Thing about turbines no one has mentioned is they are LOUD. Very loud.  You'll probably be wearing ear protection when using one.  Another trick some use with them is to get a remote control to turn them off between spraying pieces.

For me 3M PPS is overrated for the hobbyist. Color changes aren't frequent and the cleanup time saved is minimal.  You still have to clean the needle, aircap, and fluid path.  Now, if you're spraying cabinets in place, the advantage of being able to hold the gun in any orientation you want, even upside down,  can be with the cost.   But for a couple of doors or a bowl every once in a while, it's gonna be a splurge.

The PPS system is not that big a splurge if you clean the liners and lids and reuse them.  With WB finishes the life is almost infinite.  With shellac I just leave the unused portion in the liner with the lid on and put a plug in the lid port until I need to use shellac again in the future.  When I first bought my new pressure feed HVLP gun it came with 5 lids and liners.  I used them for at least 2 years before I bought any.  I bought a pack of 25 lids/liners for around $50 and I think they will last me at least 10 years.  It's not that big a splurge and the benefits are huge.  Just being able to spray at any angle is worth the price of admission.  And for folks with metal cups the PPS system is a revelation since you can actually see how much finish is still in the cup.  Being able to use almost every drop of finish in the cup is a plus, too, with no danger of spitting and sputtering when the finish runs out.  

John
(06-07-2020, 09:49 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The PPS system is not that big a splurge if you clean the liners and lids and reuse them.  With WB finishes the life is almost infinite.  With shellac I just leave the unused portion in the liner with the lid on and put a plug in the lid port until I need to use shellac again in the future.  When I first bought my new pressure feed HVLP gun it came with 5 lids and liners.  I used them for at least 2 years before I bought any.  I bought a pack of 25 lids/liners for around $50 and I think they will last me at least 10 years.  It's not that big a splurge and the benefits are huge.  Just being able to spray at any angle is worth the price of admission.  And for folks with metal cups the PPS system is a revelation since you can actually see how much finish is still in the cup.  Being able to use almost every drop of finish in the cup is a plus, too, with no danger of spitting and sputtering when the finish runs out.  

John

+1
I took John's advice when I got my HVLP setup and got the PPS system.  Very easy to use and cleans up easy and quick with a little ammonia and water.  Many benefits.

Lonnie
Thanks to all of you that responded. I'm now convinced that I need to get educated on both turbine units and a gun for my compressor set up.
I have a Charge air pro IRL5020 bought at lowes when they were switching over brands. Devilbis made with strong specs that must be inflated such as HP you can't get 5HP out of 15 amp motor at 110 voltage that it claims my gun the PSH1 porter cable manual claims it needs 43 PSI with a max of 100 psi and 4.3 CFM so even if it puts out 1/2 the labled specs I should be able to get a decent result from this gun. Snipe Hunter I think that that 3 gun set might just be the ticket and a lot cheaper than a new compressor . Although $589.00 for a two stage 60 gal Kobalt  3.7HP unit sounds like a good upgrade but I think I'll try a current model gun and get spraying and gain some experience before adding anew compressor. I included the spec tag on the current compressor for reference.
Thanks again to all who added suggestions.
Tim

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-07-2020, 02:29 PM)Tim J. Chase Wrote: Thanks to all of you that responded. I'm now convinced that I need to get educated on both turbine units and a gun for my compressor set up.
I have a Charge air pro IRL5020 bought at lowes when they were switching over brands. Devilbis made with strong specs that must be inflated such as HP you can't get 5HP out of 15 amp motor at 110 voltage that it claims my gun the PSH1 porter cable manual claims it needs 43 PSI with a max of 100 psi and 4.3 CFM so even if it puts out 1/2 the labled specs I should be able to get a decent result from this gun. Snipe Hunter I think that that 3 gun set might just be the ticket and a lot cheaper than a new compressor . Although $589.00 for a two stage 60 gal Kobalt  3.7HP unit sounds like a good upgrade but I think I'll try a current model gun and get spraying and gain some experience before adding anew compressor. I included the spec tag on the current compressor for reference.
Thanks again to all who added suggestions.
Tim

8.7 cfm at 40 psi is plenty for many guns, likely including yours.  I've used the HF purple gun which says it needs something like 43 psi inlet pressure and I've never run it that high.  20 psi with shellac and 25 - 30 psi with waterborne clears gives great atomization, so I think the gun you have likely will behave similarly.  I agree; get some experience with what you already have.  

John
I am a non-bleeder HVLP fan. I’ve had both and much prefer the non-bleeder. I always felt like I was kicking up dust everywhere in my garage, or wherever, for it only come back down and land on my wet flat surfaces I just sprayed. Or the air from the bleeder would erroneously wash over a wet surface and speed up the drying time.....which allowed less time for the finish to flow out on its own.

(06-07-2020, 09:49 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The PPS system is not that big a splurge if you clean the liners and lids and reuse them.  With WB finishes the life is almost infinite.  With shellac I just leave the unused portion in the liner with the lid on and put a plug in the lid port until I need to use shellac again in the future.  When I first bought my new pressure feed HVLP gun it came with 5 lids and liners.  I used them for at least 2 years before I bought any.  I bought a pack of 25 lids/liners for around $50 and I think they will last me at least 10 years.  It's not that big a splurge and the benefits are huge.  Just being able to spray at any angle is worth the price of admission.  And for folks with metal cups the PPS system is a revelation since you can actually see how much finish is still in the cup.  Being able to use almost every drop of finish in the cup is a plus, too, with no danger of spitting and sputtering when the finish runs out.  

John

You can use every drop of fluid in a gravity feed gun too and it probably takes about the same amount of time to clean a PPS cup as it does a paint gun cup.

I too prefer plastic gun cups over metal cups for the viability of the finish level, but only for shooting wood finishes. I prefer the PPS cups for automotive paint because I can mix my paint in the PPS cup and don't lose any pouring it into my gun cup.

Something that hasn't been mentioned: HVLP Turbine guns produce a lot less over-spray than any other the of gun, even HVLP conversion guns.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-08-2020, 02:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: 8.7 cfm at 40 psi is plenty for many guns, likely including yours. 
John

Yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay