Baby Anvil
Curious as to what this might be worth - out here in SoCal.  My best guess it weighs ~35 lbs.  No markings on it.  It came from a Pa Dutch barn that was raised circa 1800 or earlier.  Of course that may have little to do with when the anvil was cast.  No markings on it that I can see.  Cute little sucker though, ain't it?

[Image: 49978335378_f41970a2f1_z.jpg]IMG_0577 by Curt Putnam, on Flickr

[Image: 49978335363_17069ba048_z.jpg]IMG_0579 by Curt Putnam, on Flickr
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The prices have gone up for decent vintage anvils.  Used to be two bucks a pound. Or so.
Now it's closer to four or five.  Depending on condition of course.
That anvil is obviously not in terrific shape, but perhaps
could be rehabbed, though on the small side so it may not be worth it.

I have a small Peter Wright that my father used for shoeing our horses when I was a kid.
It is about the same size as yours. It is in somewhat better shape, but some day I will
dress it up a bit, weld, grind, etc. as it has seen better days too. I would never sell it
of course.

Give a look on youtube at 'essential craftsman."  He has lot of stuff related to anvils and
blacksmithing, if you are into that. Or want to be.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Nice anvil Curt. If its got a good "ring" I think to the right buyer its worth north of $200-250, maybe more. As they say, they don't make 'em like this anymore. By the pound really doesn't count in this size. Maker is more important, look carefully for markings all over if you ever decide to sell it. Blacksmithing forums exist and likely have a S&S and they would go crazy for it. I've got a modern one slightly larger than that size that I use for smithing saws and all sorts of other banging, they come in handy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a $10/lbs anvil. If that old, it would be hard to imagine it’s not high quality.

Hard to tell from the pics. As said, maker can be an important variable in value. Dropping a ball bearing on it and seeing how far it rebounds can tell you a little to a lot.
Look VERY carefully for ANY markings on the sides and bottom. A few decades of rust can make it hard to find. It took me a few months of careful cleaning before I could make out the Trenton maker's mark on my 150lb anvil.
IF you find anything or even little hints (faint letters, lines etc.), I have a book or two I can look through to help identify it.

If the face is hardened and the edges are in decent shape, the value doesn't really matter as only a fool would sell it. :-) If the face is soft, it isn't a deal breaker either-just perhaps not as sought after.
Anvils (and most blacksmith stuff) has really jumped in value over the last decade or so. I think that stupid Forged in Fire show is partly to blame.
There was a time when anvils sold for pretty much scrap value. Not so much anymore.

Looks to be a perfect size for a home shop. Anvils come in handy for a lot of things aside from forging.
-brew
(06-08-2020, 03:07 PM)brewmaster Wrote: Hard to tell from the pics.  As said, maker can be an important variable in value.  Dropping a ball bearing on it and seeing how far it rebounds can tell you a little to a lot.
Look VERY carefully for ANY markings on the sides and bottom.  A few decades of rust can make it hard to find.  It took me a few months of careful cleaning before I could make out the Trenton maker's mark on my 150lb anvil.
IF you find anything or even little hints (faint letters, lines etc.), I have a book or two I can look through to help identify it.

If the face is hardened and the edges are in decent shape, the value doesn't really matter as only a fool would sell it.  :-)  If the face is soft, it isn't a deal breaker either-just perhaps not as sought after.
Anvils (and most blacksmith stuff) has really jumped in value over the last decade or so.  I think that stupid Forged in Fire show is partly to blame.
There was a time when anvils sold for pretty much scrap value.  Not so much anymore.

Looks to be a perfect size for a home shop.  Anvils come in handy for a lot of things aside from forging.
I know what you mean, I think. The question of worth will have some bearing on whether or not I try to sell it. It came from the same farm at which both my parents and my 1st wife and I lived, albeit at separate times. When I moved my folks out here, it was one of the few items my Dad insisted on keeping (he had Alzheimer's Disease.) However, It has sat around for 15 years, unused. I am toying with the idea of taking up saw sharpening. We shall see.

I appreciate the information guys. Thank you!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
How would one go about de-rusting the thing? Wd40, Scotchbrite, and elbow grease? Pressure wash followed by oil?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Wire wheel/brush and some oil for good measure. You can get into electrolysis or chemical brews if you'd like but more trouble than it is worth IMO.
-brew