AC Maintenance
And dig the post right above it - almost identical user names.  Wonder if they're machine generated.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-15-2021, 04:56 AM)Mutamycete Wrote: Summers without an aircon are horrible.

(07-15-2021, 04:59 AM)Megamycete Wrote: I had this problem as well, but it was a little different. If it would be a PC, it was easy for me to find the problem. And somehow, a guy downloaded an HVAC course in Dubai, haha. Anyway, when I started it, my air conditioner worked 5-10 minutes and after stopping. It was so strange, and that time was so hot. I didn't know what to do because I'm not a big man in this stuff. Anyway, thanks to the  DELETED these guys saved me from hot weather. Fast and easy way of work, love it.

Two for one !!!!

Bam !!

Bam !!
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I use Webb  AC coil cleaner that I get from Lowes of HD.  I remove the skins and soak everything with the cleaner.  Wait a couple of minutes and use a hose with a spray nozzle.  Dirt, dog hair, etc just melts away.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I've never once cleaned a condenser coil and never once had an AC guy recommend doing it. Not saying its wrong, but that seems to tell me something, like maybe its not a good idea?

I have had a couple evaporator coils needed cleaning due to misplaced air filter.
BIL had a problem and I went over and it was the Capacitor that was bad but when I pulled the panel to replace it his coil was plugged with grass clippings and leaves. Trane unit
(07-22-2021, 08:50 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I've never once cleaned a condenser coil and never once had an AC guy recommend doing it. Not saying its wrong, but that seems to tell me something, like maybe its not a good idea?

I have had a couple evaporator coils needed cleaning due to misplaced air filter.

You drew a conclusion from a pretty limited data set. The operating environment will make a significant difference. I have seen 20 year old coils with little but some dust and other coils that need blown out weekly and washed monthly. Completely different environments. Dirt loading in either evap or condenser coils will negatively impact system capacity and efficiency and can shorten system life. Period.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

We had a guy look at our unit the other day, he said his company would recommend that it be cleaned, but they only use a hose and charge way too much , so he suggested I get one of the foaming cleaners at HD or Lowes -  I did and didn't see that it removed much dirt, but I did take apart the unit and hosed it from the inside out, thinking that would be the way to go.

On a prior unit,  I used a pressure washer  -  yes , that was a mistake, it crushed the fins.
(07-28-2021, 06:58 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: We had a guy look at our unit the other day, he said his company would recommend that it be cleaned, but they only use a hose and charge way too much , so he suggested I get one of the foaming cleaners at HD or Lowes -  I did and didn't see that it removed much dirt, but I did take apart the unit and hosed it from the inside out, thinking that would be the way to go.

On a prior unit,  I used a pressure washer  -  yes , that was a mistake, it crushed the fins.

Could have been worse.  My last A/C unit was a Trane with Spine Fin coils.  Almost impossible to clean without messing them up.  The cottonwood had packed it almost solid, and I spent two days cleaning it out when I first bought the house.  

Never again.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
If you have problems with tree fuzz in your AC, regular window screen wrapped around the unit sides will catch most before it gets to the coils. You’ll need to clean it more often but it’s a lot easier. Be very cautious where you put screws if you consider this option.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(07-30-2021, 07:16 AM)blackhat Wrote: If you have problems with tree fuzz in your AC, regular window screen wrapped around the unit sides will catch most before it gets to the coils. You’ll need to clean it more often but it’s a lot easier. Be very cautious where you put screws if you consider this option.

That's exactly what I do, though I just wrap it around once and hold it with a 'belt' arund the top that's just a long bungie cord.  Catches all that fuzz, but I only leave it on for a month until it stops.  Then I vacuum it off, roll it up, and put it away until next year.  Coils stay nice and clean, and the screen doesn't get so loaded that it causes a problem, though sometimes I give it a clean after a couple of weeks if necessary.
Tom