Psssst....wanna daughter's dresser build-along update?
I guess I can't really call it a build-along as I haven't posted any progress shots so far.   Well here it is.  It is made out of cherry with maple being the side and backs for the drawers.  Holy cow is it heavy though!!!

If you look close, the gap around the drawers isn't even for every drawer.  I'll be working on that soon.  Although you might notice that the grain is consistent across the drawer fronts.

All that is left to do is build the base/legs.  I'll be turning the legs from the cherry Sniper was gracious enough to send to me.  Thanks!   You'll notice they splay out a bit (I think in both directions).  I've never done that so I'll need think about the best way to approach it.

Also looks like I need to sand the side a bit more...notice that scratch.  You'll also notice the maple strips on the side and the top?  Guess what??   The biscuit cutter blew through so I had to add a "design element" to hide my mistake!!

For the handles, I might try to convince her to opt for 2/drawer.  The reason being is that they run on runners and they might bind a bit if there's only 1 central pull.

Thoughts/comments/criticisms welcome!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
I love the design.....

Well executed; looks like a little Heywood Wakefield influence - I'm sure she'll cherish it always. Very nice work and good on ya!

Doug
I like it ( a lot). But I'm not sure you need to push for the 2 handle stuff.  It looks like those drawers might be less than 20" wide...I think one per drawer would be plenty, and look a little better.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That is really nice. How do you make that angled intersection around the top drawers?
(06-09-2020, 08:33 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: That is really nice.  How do you make that angled intersection around the top drawers?

Paul?  Those 2 horizontal pieces separating the 2 top drawers from the bottom 3 took a couple of hours each!!!  Here's the process.

1) The angle around the case was a guesstimate based upon the picture.  I think I guessed 30 degrees.  No big deal cutting that on the TS.

2) I then needed to cut the center divider one.  (Since that one isn't in the original design IIRC, I made it 30 degrees on both sides).  That one took a while  (I added this piece because I couldn't figure out how to "hang the drawers".  Don't know what's supporting the drawer in the picture.  Perhaps they're overlay in the center but inset on the sides?)

3) so, as you can imagine, those 2 horizontal pieces at the top have differing angles as the edges and at the center where they meet.  The outside edge wasn't too hard as I could set the TS to 45 to intersect the sides.  The inside edges are different angles so I had to adjust for them.

4) I then had to cut the "slope angle".  I tilted the TS (honestly, I don't remember the angle, but I practiced on a scrap piece until I dialed it in.

What's funny is that there are dust panels behind those pieces and I had to cut and attach the L, R and back of each dust frame, install them, let it dry, then slide in the 1/4 plywood and then glue on the front.  It couldn't all slide in as 1 unit because I dadoes the center divider (a piece of 3/4 birch ply) but it is stopped short so that I could glue on the cherry center divider piece.

I hope this all makes sense, but I'm guessing it won't.

BTW, our daughter's in DC and I'll be delivering the piece in mid July.  Wanna take a look then? 
Smile
Dumber than I appear
Nice indeed.  I wonder why the original only has a rail below the first drawer?  Seems like it would look better if there were one below all of them.  Are your sides solid cherry?  If so, it's going to be interesting to see if those maple design elements you added are going to stay bonded.  Or did you run the grain in the same direction as the cherry?  

John
(06-12-2020, 09:24 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Nice indeed.  I wonder why the original only has a rail below the first drawer?  Seems like it would look better if there were one below all of them.  Are your sides solid cherry?  If so, it's going to be interesting to see if those maple design elements you added are going to stay bonded.  Or did you run the grain in the same direction as the cherry?  

John

Hi John,

Yes, the sides (top and bottom) are all solid cherry.  The maple strips are about 1/8-3/16" think but they do run cross grain.  Ut oh...
Dumber than I appear
(06-12-2020, 08:53 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: I hope this all makes sense, but I'm guessing it won't.

BTW, our daughter's in DC and I'll be delivering the piece in mid July.  Wanna take a look then? 
Smile

It's a little more clear than mud now 
Big Grin  It is a very nice detail.

Another question.  Is that a web frame or a solid panel under those top drawers?

Thanks for the invitation;  I'll be around.  I'll bring my back brace.

Paul
(06-12-2020, 06:09 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: It's a little more clear than mud now 
Big Grin  It is a very nice detail.

Another question.  Is that a web frame or a solid panel under those top drawers?

Thanks for the invitation;  I'll be around.  I'll bring my back brace.

Paul

It's a web frame  and "yes", we will need help moving it into her place.  Thanks for the offer!!!!! 
Smile

Last night I did some serious thinking about the splay on the legs and what angle they can be at to support the weight of it.  I cut a tester on a piece Sniper sent me.  I'm thinking a 5 degree angle both ways mimics the original and isn't too much of an angle that it can't support the weight.

So, now I need to turn the legs and make a jig to hold them while I rout the DTs to accept the apron pieces.  Hail, this might be the toughest part of the whole project!!!
Dumber than I appear