PSA, LN chisels
Today on the Tom's Toolbox section of their website, LN is selling a limited run of 1 and one half inch width chisels.

Once these are gone, they are not sure when or if they will be made again.

I already put my order in, so now it is safe to let every one else know.
Yes

Enjoy!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
As much as I'd like one, I can't justify the 78% premium over their 1" chisel. They want $125 for it, compared to $70 for a 1" chisel. Besides, I have a pretty serviceable 2" Ashley Iles Mk II. All hand tool woodworkers should seriously consider having a wide chisel. It's useful for so many things that are not as easily accomplished with narrower chisels. Tools for Working Wood sells the Ashley Iles 2" chisel for about $70. They are currently out of stock.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-11-2020, 05:58 AM)AHill Wrote: SNIP>>> Tools for Working Wood sells the Ashley Iles 2" chisel for about $70.  They are currently out of stock.

I have been able to put a request in for an out-of-stock item and TFWW will notify me when it becomes available. AI can take months to restock.
The budget alternative at $28, and they actually have pretty good steel and for as often as I use it it does the job admirably...... (no pun intended....
Laugh )

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...ge-chisels
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Ain't worth the cost to me, even at half that price!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-11-2020, 09:57 AM)Admiral Wrote: The budget alternative at $28, and they actually have pretty good steel and for as often as I use it it does the job admirably...... (no pun intended....
Laugh )

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/too...ge-chisels

The Narex can deliver fine and quality work as any other pricey chisels be they Japanese, Pmv11, LN or Blue Spruce. At one time or another, you still need to sharpen the tools.

Often people pay lots of money for something because they can afford to not because they need to.

I don't own any 2" chisel; never have had a job that needed it. 1" is the largest one I have used, and I can bet with skills, the 1" chisel can handle any job that a 2" chisel is supposed to do.

Simon
The style of the LN just does not look comfortable, and I hope someone with a "750" style socket chisel, in a wide width, pops in here with an opinion. I have chisels this wide (more than a few, all vintage) and they're just not something I reach for.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
You mean like this one?

Just mine is a Defiance by Stanley No. 1251...

1-1/2" wide....and will leave a bare spot on an arm easily.....using it to pare wide surfaces..
Price?  $1
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I was really hoping the 1.5” LN chisel was going to be $85 or so. I would of strongly considered one. I have a 1.5” Stanley 750 that I turned a hard maple handle for to match my other LN’s. I got the Stanley, sans handle, for $1 probably 15 years ago. After flattening the back and putting a new bevel in it, it works great and it’s my go to chisel when I need something bigger than 1”. I will probably regret not buying the 1.5” LN someday but not today.....

With all this talk about the LN 1-1/2" chisel, I decided to look for that chisel I had in storage forever. Here it is: