Need some info
I have an older Nova mini chuck that uses the tommy bars.

I looked to get one or two more with some jaws that can go with them.

One I no longer see it for sale and two will these jaws work from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NOVA-Mini-Ja...lsrc=aw.ds

Does anyone know where I can get the mini chuck again????
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I would call Teknatool customer service / technical service.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-10-2020, 12:55 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have an older Nova mini chuck that uses the tommy bars.

Nova Jaws work on Nova chucks, AFAIK.  I still use my Tommy bar original where appropriate, same jaws as SN, SN2....

I've tried the patterns on the left owned by others, and consider them worthless.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(06-10-2020, 01:29 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Nova Jaws work on Nova chucks, AFAIK.  I still use my Tommy bar original where appropriate, same jaws as SN, SN2....

I've tried the patterns on the left owned by others, and consider them worthless.

I do not know what you mean there.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(06-10-2020, 12:55 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have an older Nova mini chuck that uses the tommy bars.

Lots of places sell the Nova Midi chuck. <- Midi, not Mini

Your link is to a set of Nova mini jaws.

Except for a couple of the large Nova jaws, all of the Nova jaws work on all of the Nova chucks.

The Record jaws also work on the Nova chucks.

Also, skip the 30mm Nova dovetail jaws and get that size from Record. The Nova jaws are stupidly the same size when gripping a tenon as the Nova 20mm jaws.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-10-2020, 01:29 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Nova Jaws work on Nova chucks, AFAIK.  I still use my Tommy bar original where appropriate, same jaws as SN, SN2....

(06-10-2020, 05:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do not know what you mean there.

Arlin,

The 2 jaw patterns on the left in your link are the 20mm dovetail jaws and the mini step jaws (steps only on the outside). The dovetail jaws look to be dovetail only in expansion. For grabbing a tenon, they look to be even worse than the 50mm jaws. I had not noticed that before.

I am not sure that I would call them worthless, but they are certainly limited in their application. I don't think that I have ever mounted the ones that I have.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
OK I finally was able to blow up the picture to see what you guys were talking about.

I was not thinking of expansion mode but to put round parts into it like pen, stopper blanks and maybe finials and lock them down.

I really do not think they are to well make for expansion.

Ivan

If you are not using one of the set of jaws let me know how much you want for them.

(06-10-2020, 09:26 PM)iclark Wrote: Arlin,

The 2 jaw patterns on the left in your link are the 20mm dovetail jaws and the mini step jaws (steps only on the outside). The dovetail jaws look to be dovetail only in expansion. For grabbing a tenon, they look to be even worse than the 50mm jaws. I had not noticed that before.

I am not sure that I would call them worthless, but they are certainly limited in their application. I don't think that I have ever mounted the ones that I have.

Since I work 90% with expansion hold, either the 25 or 50 mm, which were standard issue, along with a woodworm when I got my first Nova,  I will once again repeat that I consider the step jaws worthless.  Though I own a set of the tenon-chewing "spigot " jaws, they remain in the drawer, not on the chucks.  

The guy who owned the step jaws couldn't figure out a good use for them either.
(06-11-2020, 05:38 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Since I work 90% with expansion hold, either the 25 or 50 mm, which were standard issue, along with a woodworm when I got my first Nova,  I will once again repeat that I consider the step jaws worthless.  Though I own a set of the tenon-chewing "spigot " jaws, they remain in the drawer, not on the chucks.  

The guy who owned the step jaws couldn't figure out a good use for them either.

Although I do have other chucks I am thinking people who are just starting out would and do use them and find a way to do so at least until they get something else.

So they are not completely worthless.  Like I said they would be great to use for spindle stuff I am thinking.

(06-11-2020, 10:19 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Although I do have other chucks I am thinking people who are just starting out would and do use them and find a way to do so at least until they get something else.

So they are not completely worthless.  Like I said they would be great to use for spindle stuff I am thinking.

Just a thought.  If experienced users can't make them work for themselves, do you think beginners could?

The other jaws on the left are replaced in my use by the pin jaws, because they are much more useful.

I've regretted "trendy" purchases made in the past, which is why I rank criticism above recommendation.