Extended projects
I have a ton of power tools and very little time to use them.  When my daughter was 13 I was going to make a hope chest.  She is now 26 and married with no hope chest.   I am a little overdue.  The problem is I very seldom have a big chunk of time to commit to a project with work, honey do, and family outings, plus church.  If I wanted to do a large project can I do it in parts and let it sit for a month or so before I do another part.  Can I mill and glue up the panels and let them sit for a while or will the panels warp.  Thank you, Dutchie
(06-10-2020, 04:00 PM)DutchieVB Wrote: I have a ton of power tools and very little time to use them.  When my daughter was 13 I was going to make a hope chest.  She is now 26 and married with no hope chest.   I am a little overdue.  The problem is I very seldom have a big chunk of time to commit to a project with work, honey do, and family outings, plus church.  If I wanted to do a large project can I do it in parts and let it sit for a month or so before I do another part.  Can I mill and glue up the panels and let them sit for a while or will the panels warp.  Thank you, Dutchie

Panels will probably warp over time unless you restrain them. Even then they may warp. The solution is to mill them to close-to-final dimensions and sticker and clamp them. Let them sit in a dry place until you have another block of time. Then mill them to final dimension, glue them up and use them right away if you can. If you can't, sticker and clamp them again, and store them in a dry place until you can put them into frames. They may warp a little, but not as much as they would if you milled and glued them up at the same time. The drier the lumber when you start, the less warping you'll have.

This is what I mean by "sticker and clamp them."

[Image: 49993035681_4d9e65a862_c.jpg]10BC8D6E-7D7F-40CD-A1DF-1DA20A5105CE by Hank Knight, on Flickr
Dutchie, I had the same issues before I retired.  I found that after I finished the drawings and had the material on hand, an hour or two here and a couple hours there got me ready for that precious block of shop time.  I learned, the had way, about panels.  Hank has given good advice.

For me, getting started was the key.  As the ad goes "Just do it".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
"If I wanted to do a large project can I do it in parts and let it sit for a month or so before I do another part."
I thought stringing out a project for months was a requirement!! 
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
"Can I mill and glue up the panels and let them sit for a while or will the panels warp.  Thank you, Dutchie"

It's the ugly truth about ww in my life. Projects started and takes forever to finish. And I've been totally retired since Dec. 2005. Life always gets in the way and especially honey do projects.

Thanks to reply by Hank on stack and clamp the panels.

Jim 
You schedule time for other things and meet those commitments. Agree on a schedule for your hobby and stick to those as well. A balanced life is a happy life. For working in quick bursts I would final mill your parts just before glue up of a sub-assembly. That may give you more stability between speed-dating sessions in your shop ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

This malady creeps into every woodworker's life IMO, at least at some point. I agree with GeeDub in that you need to "plan your work and work your plan." Keeping an outline of your written daily schedule with target dates helps. If nothing else, jot down the things you'd like to get accomplished each day. Good luck!

Doug
(06-14-2020, 09:26 AM)Tapper Wrote: This malady creeps into every woodworker's life IMO, at least at some point. I agree with GeeDub in that you need to "plan your work and work your plan." Keeping an outline of your written daily schedule with target dates helps. If nothing else, jot down the things you'd like to get accomplished each day. Good luck!

Doug

Back when I was working mesquite full time I started a simple (fairly) Mission style coffee table.  I quit working mesquite full time in 2004.   I've moved the ready-for-glue base from shop #1 to shop #2 and then to the current garage shop.  Pulled it out from behind the compressor several weeks back and decided I probably oughta just go ahead and finish it.  
Laugh   So now it's pushed under the work table where at least I'll SEE it every day.  
Tongue
(06-10-2020, 04:00 PM)DutchieVB Wrote: I have a ton of power tools and very little time to use them.  When my daughter was 13 I was going to make a hope chest.  She is now 26 and married with no hope chest.   I am a little overdue.  The problem is I very seldom have a big chunk of time to commit to a project with work, honey do, and family outings, plus church.  If I wanted to do a large project can I do it in parts and let it sit for a month or so before I do another part.  Can I mill and glue up the panels and let them sit for a while or will the panels warp.  Thank you, Dutchie

I feel your pain.

I retired mid-March, and this "free time" I've heard about is still just an illusion.  This weekend I was going to do something simple; I was going to make boxes for my new sharpening stones.  It's Sunday afternoon.  Boxes not half done.  However, what did get done:

- Cut grass
- Adjusted garden drip irrigation for LOML's new flower plantings
- Begin the work to install new exterior lighting fixtures on the house and shop building
- Installed a new exterior vent cap for the dryer; this one turned into a new dryer vent all the way from the dryer through the exterior wall.  Once I got started, it was obvious the smarter solution was an all new vent system. 
- Straighten the storm door installation on the shop building.  This resulted in also fixing the pneumatic door auto-closer on the door to the shop as the wind had been working on that door for some time.

None of that stuff was on the to-do list I started with on Friday.  And my issue is that I'm s l o w  with a capital S.

Can you at least get a carcass done in one weekend?  Maybe plan the build to get a major assembly done in one reasonable period of time and then let mayhem intervene again?
(06-14-2020, 04:12 PM)WxMan Wrote: I retired mid-March, and this "free time" I've heard about is still just an illusion.  This weekend I was going to do something simple; I was going to make boxes for my new sharpening stones.  It's Sunday afternoon.  Boxes not half done.  However, what did get done:

- Cut grass
- Adjusted garden drip irrigation for LOML's new flower plantings
- Begin the work to install new exterior lighting fixtures on the house and shop building
- Installed a new exterior vent cap for the dryer; this one turned into a new dryer vent all the way from the dryer through the exterior wall.  Once I got started, it was obvious the smarter solution was an all new vent system. 
- Straighten the storm door installation on the shop building.  This resulted in also fixing the pneumatic door auto-closer on the door to the shop as the wind had been working on that door for some time.

None of that stuff was on the to-do list I started with on Friday.  And my issue is that I'm s l o w  with a capital S.

Can you at least get a carcass done in one weekend?  Maybe plan the build to get a major assembly done in one reasonable period of time and then let mayhem intervene again?

My wife's To Do List is longer than my undone project list.  My new plan is to send her on a separate vacation.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill