US Burial Flag Case with Navy Theme
Does anyone have made or seen any distinct flag cases with a Navy theme?? Something other than the traditional triangle shape box. Looking for ideas to go a little beyond the mundane. Any help would be appreciated and photos or links would be a huge help. Thanks.
John T.
This is what I made for my grandfathers flag. Put a shell inside between the flag and the glass. I put a back panel on the lower compartment and we put his papers and a few other important things in there as a keepsake place.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-10-2020, 09:29 PM)packerguy® Wrote: This is what I made for my grandfathers flag. Put a shell inside between the flag and the glass. I put a back panel on the lower compartment and we put his papers and a few other important things in there as a keepsake place.

That looks really good. Is that what M3 means??  Would you know? My Dad was in there that long too.
John T.
(06-10-2020, 11:27 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: That looks really good. Is that what M3 means??  Would you know? My Dad was in there that long too.

MM3 is machinist Mate 3 class petty officer.  He would have worked on machines in the engine room.  3rd class is like a corporal in the Army.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(06-13-2020, 07:35 PM)John Mihich Wrote: MM3 is machinist Mate 3 class petty officer.  He would have worked on machines in the engine room.  3rd class is like a corporal in the Army.

Yes he worked on engines and did welding. Hope to get more info from archieves. I know it will take some time but wanting to know things so hope this works out. Want to build the flag case too.
John T.
I can post something once my computer is up and I am out of the hospital.  Likely tomorrow.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Sorry it took a bit, but here is one of the boxes I made for a friend of my wife, who's dad passed earlier this year.  He served in the Navy aboard ship.  I had HER choose the challenge coins, have the engraved plate made, (in advance) and decide on the final layout after I offered her several options.  Concealed in the space behind the coins and name plate are several small personal items of her dad's that she wanted to keep, but didn't need to handle again.

The box is solid mahogany, and finished in Watco Oil with several coats of bees wax, which she can rewax and buff out for that soft sheen if it dulls.

This is another original design, which I have used for several boxes for Veteran's: myself and my son in law included.  You can add a challenge coin or cover emblem to the front of the box, display medals and insignia in half the box and the flag in the other, and use uniform jacket material or silk, velvet, or whatever the family chooses for the background.

My box was made from a slab of black walnut firewood.  I tossed it aside to dry when I saw the grain.

My son in law's box was made from a select piece of curly cherry, as a retirement gift.

Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
[attachment=27762][attachment=27762]I made one for my Dad and one similar for my FIL.  Dad was Army and my FIL was Navy.  I made them with a door on front so things could be added at any time desired by Mom.  Dad's medals were mounted in a wall frame that went with the flag case.  It happens that Dad also got into woodworking and the wood I used for the case was some special walnut Dad had saved and I thought it would be appropriate to display his burial flag.

Attached Files Image(s)