Bar clamp Rack
I have exactly a lot of Bessey bar clamps that I built racks for, but over time if not pushed back they tend to fall and sometimes on my head. (Which I don't really appreciate. They hurt believe it or not)
Crazy

Anyone have a suggestion to keeping them in place. The ones Rockler sell are ok but I would need quite a few and I prefer to make my own stuff when possible.

Jim
You could build the arms with a 1 or 2 degree tilt.  Mine are at 90 degrees and I have never had a clamp fall off.  Is the wall your racks are attached to plumb?  Maybe your racks are fine and the wall-to-rack contact point needs to be shimmed.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I have that problem with a Norm style rack i built. I was considering just using a bungee cord. I'll be watching to see what others may suggest.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I build the rack so the clamps tilt back some. Couple of degrees.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The major problem is that I made the part that the clamps hang on almost the exact size and there's no room for error. They are very square which also some of the problem. I really don't want to remake them if I can help it.

Any further help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
You could build a lock bar that goes across them like you would see in a gun rack (at least I think I saw it on a gun rack).  I would guess that if the heavy parts of the clamps were hanging below the rack rather than above they might be less likely to dive out.  

Nice clamp racks
My racks are exactly like GeeDub's. Never had one fall off the rack. Mount them on a french cleat so they can be moved easily if you re-arrange the shop. I built mine to hold 10 Bessy clamps deep.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Lay an 1/8" dowel on the very edge of the shelf part and see if that will tilt your clamp.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-12-2020, 03:38 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: The major problem is that I made the part that the clamps hang on almost the exact size and there's no room for error. They are very square which also some of the problem. I really don't want to remake them if I can help it.

Any further help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

Looks like an easy fix might be to shim the bottom of each rack if angle is the problem.  From the design I think the size of the resting area is more the problem than any angle issue.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(06-12-2020, 04:06 PM)stav Wrote: You could build a lock bar that goes across them like you would see in a gun rack (at least I think I saw it on a gun rack).  I would guess that if the heavy parts of the clamps were hanging below the rack rather than above they might be less likely to dive out.  

Nice clamp racks

You probably did see cross bar on a gun rack. I know the Army does that and that's what I've been thinking of doing. Or in my "spare time" I'll build new racks. That's if I live long enough to have spare time.
Crazy