Would this meet code for deck railing?
Northern Tool is selling this bracket to make deck benches to replace railings.  It seems that a child could climb on the seat and easily fall over the back of the bench.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/...1269774374

This image shows it at a high elevation:
[Image: 19ba77a8-1f96-527f-aee4-ce952526594a]

[Image: 252205_2000x2000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I *think* it would in our area (southern MN) as long as a 4" ball won't squeeze through between that bottom back board and the seat.
Easiest way to find out is to call your local building inspector's office and ask.  

John
[quote pid='7871559' dateline='1592230658']
Northern Tool is selling this bracket to make deck benches to replace railings.  It seems that a child could climb on the seat and easily fall over the back of the bench.

[/quote]
 I don't think it is against the national codes but may be locally.     They don't seem to be against the ladder effect on railings anymore which would include the cable railings and ornate metal that is climbable.    They also noted the bench type as shown is no different if a chair is place by the railing.   While I can see the issue also they say very few accidents occur because of this.   As was said your local inspector is the final say.   Roly
Thanks for the replies.

Cooler
It's basically fine. As long as you can't pass a 4" diameter ball through any railing at any point. Looking at the photos, it looks like the lowest horizontal rail on the seat-back sets above the seat more than 4". That would have to be fixed.

Not your question but I don't see a grasp rail on the stairs. Stairs with more than 3 steps need a grasp rail with a return at each end.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-17-2020, 06:31 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: It's basically fine. As long as you can't pass a 4" diameter ball through any railing at any point. Looking at the photos, it looks like the lowest horizontal rail on the seat-back sets above the seat more than 4". That would have to be fixed.

Not your question but I don't see a grasp rail on the stairs. Stairs with more than 3 steps need a grasp rail with a return at each end.

I did not know that.  My deck, from which if you fell you would drop about 15 feet and then roll down a steep hill for another 20 feet, does not have stairway access.  Access if from the rear of the house only.  So I have not had to deal with that. 

However the existing stairway to another rear door does not have a hand rail, so when that gets re-built I will add that.

Thanks,

Cooler
If you look at the pictures that Northern provided you will see that the back rest of the seat Complies with guard rail height, so what remains is your judgement wither a child could climb over the back rest. Would be interested to hear from a inspector that would deal in this instance.
(06-19-2020, 08:54 AM)bgosh Wrote: If you look at the pictures that Northern provided you will see that the back rest of the seat Complies with guard rail height, so what remains is your judgement wither a child could climb over the back rest. Would be interested to hear from a inspector that would deal in this instance.
I thought about doing this.  It makes better use of the available space. 

I may put up 5' privacy screens on the two ends of my deck (my back yard abuts a nature preserve and there are only animal prying eyes from that direction).  If I do raise the end railings to 5' I may use these on the end panels.

I don't know if a 5' tall backrest will looks stupid or not.  I will give it some thought.
If I am not mistaken 42'' is the height of a railing, so 42 plus 16 = 58 which in my opinion on would look weird. Now I have a question for the gentleman that handrails have to have a return.  Are you saying that it should be returned to the wall or do you mean the end should be the same as the top part of the rail?