Autoset plane
What is your opinions on the autoset planes like the Sargent autoset or the Stanley/gage took company planes they don’t seem to get a lot of attention but sound like a hybrid bedrock and bailey together.

Attached Files Image(s)

I have several of both Stanley and Sargent in my "accumulation". The frog has nice, flat bedding, but, no easy "fore/aft" adjustment, such as the Bedrock or even Bailey! Also, the frog starts about 1/2" from the lip of the sole and you will be dependent on a smooth transition between both parts.

At one time, I made up my mind to collect the series of Autosets, including transitionals, but I couldn't really get one to work as nicely as a Bailey, and just kept them as curios. The Sargent smoother I bought way back when from a dealer, for about $80.00, I decided to try as a user. Unfortunately, when I got it home, I noticed a crack in the casting. I put up a WTB on the "old tool list" and Tony Seo had just the sole for that plane, and shipped it to me for a very low price. I proceeded to get everything moved from the first to the second, and after sharpening the blade, I noticed the sole was no where near flat, so off to flattening I went. Dirty sumbiatch slipped out of my hand and cracked the casting on the second sole! I had a local welding shop braze it, and then grind it flat. It worked as well as the rest of the Autosets I had (and still have), which is not quite up to the Bailey line.

IMO, they are more semi-collectable, and nice to have to look at, if you want a visual history of metallic planes (or send that smoother to me, to see if I can make it 3 out of 3 on cracked soles!).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-15-2020, 01:55 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have several of both Stanley and Sargent in my "accumulation".  The frog has nice, flat bedding, but, no easy "fore/aft" adjustment, such as the Bedrock or even Bailey!  Also, the frog starts about 1/2" from the lip of the sole and you will be dependent on a smooth transition between both parts.

At one time, I made up my mind to collect the series of Autosets, including transitionals, but I couldn't really get one to work as nicely as a Bailey, and just kept them as curios.  The Sargent smoother I bought way back when from a dealer, for about $80.00, I decided to try as a user.  Unfortunately, when I got it home, I noticed a crack in the casting.  I put up a WTB on the "old tool list" and Tony Seo had just the sole for that plane, and shipped it to me for a very low price.  I proceeded to get everything moved from the first to the second, and after sharpening the blade, I noticed the sole was no where near flat, so off to flattening I went.  Dirty sumbiatch slipped out of my hand and cracked the casting on the second sole!  I had a local welding shop braze it, and then grind it flat.  It worked as well as the rest of the Autosets I had (and still have), which is not quite up to the Bailey line.

IMO, they are more semi-collectable, and nice to have to look at, if you want a visual history of metallic planes (or send that smoother to me, to see if I can make it 3 out of 3 on cracked soles!).

I don't have one I have been looking at them on ebay cause some go for pretty cheap and look good. I was just wondering on others experiences with them.
I had picked up a couple in excellent condition and tried to get them to work properly, very fiddy, frankly a PITA to actually use, the normal Bailey pattern planes work much, much better. It might be me, but I never found them at all useful. I sold them to a collector, he was happy with them as shelf queens.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-16-2020, 07:47 AM)Admiral Wrote: I had picked up a couple in excellent condition and tried to get them to work properly, very fiddy, frankly a PITA to actually use, the normal Bailey pattern planes work much, much better.  It might be me, but I never found them at all useful.  I sold them to a collector, he was happy with them as shelf queens.

Pretty much the same as me! Ain't worth the trouble to get running and if you do, only half as good as a Bailey. I believe I have a couple smoothers, a couple of jointers and maybe a jack, but I bought them as curiosities more than anything.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Passed by a Gage..

Gage, Liberty Bell, Metallic Plane Co. ( L - R)

Have a Sargent 3416.....first jointer I ever had was a Stanley #129..( long gone) and  wasn't interested in the Metallic brand...

Wound up with a Sargent VBM #414c, type 4, instead...
Cool

Even then..it was $40...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Come to think of it, I have a couple of transitional Autosets. Might have to see how they work!
www.metaltech-pm.com
This is interesting, I've never seen or heard of them before.