Thread for tools that look gimicky but work!
(06-17-2020, 09:20 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Recently built a prototype door to start replacing all the interior doors at home. Started with a pantry door that was also going to be the most custom sized because the pantry was framed a bit wonky.

Anyway, 3-panel Shaker where the upper panel is largest extending from the top rail to the lockrail. Poplar so not terribly heavy but definately heavier than the el-cheapo builder-grade hollow core doors that are present now.

I've always hated hanging doors because you either need somebody to help steady it as you engage the hinges or have to use a cat's paw bar and pencil or dowel as a lever and fulcrum. Works but can be a bit fussy. 

On a whim bought one of these for $18 and wonder of wonders, it worked great.

Because it is wider than the cat's paw and the rubber isn't slick, it doesn't let the door bobble around as it rises up. Just pump slowly with your foot while you ready the top hinge pin and work your way down the door.

An air bag is how we jack up aircraft that have to land with their landing gear retracted.  A very large air bag.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-17-2020, 01:42 PM)Rob Young Wrote: And since I'm on the door topic, here's another one. About $21 local to me for the kit without the corner punch (I think I bought the #200 kit, picture is the #300 kit). Has a bunch of templates for hinges and strike plates. Again, since the doors I'm replacing are inexpensive builder-grade pre-hung doors these templates are a dead on match for the existing hinge and strike mortises.

And it was a dead match to the replacement hinges I bought, swapping out as I go from brass to dull-rub bronze.

Milescraft Hingemate (200 or 300)

The router bit isn't bad either. Chucked up in a PC690 it did a clean job. 

Yes, this will leave two screw holes in your door or jamb where it was fixed down. But I'm just doing doors right now and all are going to be painted so no big deal. 

And if I was going to be making a living at this, I'd consider a different jig, one that is a bit more substantial and adjustable. This one is pretty much just for 1-3/8" (nominal) and 1-3/4" (nominal) doors. 

Could I build a hinge mortising jig? Yes, absolutely. But happy I splurged and got this and it will just live in a $5 tool bag from Harbor Freight (one of their hidden jems, good for organizing tools with lots of accessory parts that you want to have portable).
I bought one of those a couple years back when I had to do several doors.  I loved it.  I have a few more to do and it will come in handy.  I like the fact it has several different sizes available.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Ok - I'll bite. Not sure I would necessarily call this "gimicky"; probably an item you might see a machinist use rather than a woodworker. But I use this quite frequently

Optical center punch.

What did I win?

Laugh
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(06-20-2020, 08:59 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Optical center punch.

What did I win?

Laugh

Not Sure. But if you move the mouse over the photo it actually identifies it as an "optical center punch" - so I have to question your "guess"!!
I bought one of these when I was doing in-home repair work, primarily to get the screw out of the back of drawer glides.  I tried just using a 1/4" drive socket wrench, but the bit kept falling out.   Anyway with all types of screw driver bits, Allen and Torx drive and both SAE and Metric sockets, it became one my most used tools and became my favorite "screwdriver."  It allows a good deal of torque over the standard screwdriver and works much faster than an L-shaped Allen wrench.   Between $15 and $20 at most big box stores.  I've also added a set of metric Allen wrenches and a Pozidriv bit.  It takes standard 1/4" hex drive tool bits. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-1...lsrc=aw.ds

The thing that is coupled with it is a Pic Quic multibit screwdriver. All the bits are longer and fit this driver.   And if they ever wear out (they haven't yet), bits are a standard size so easily replaceable

[Image: picquic-sixpack-plus-ruby-red-1-1024x211.jpg]
[Image: gearwrench-ratchet-socket-sets-85035-64_1000.jpg]
Video 
Some 55 or 60 years ago my father brought home a multi-socket box wrench.  It was very useful and I still have it.  In the past few years these wrenches have been re-appearing with advertising blurb that makes it sound like a recent invention.  It is similar to this Black and Decker model, but with 12 point wrench openings. 

The main deficiency is that it is so bulky that it often cannot be used in tight quarters.  The one I have is quite large (they make a smaller one today).  It does  double duty as a cudgel and I can safely carry it in my car without worry from law enforcement about my carrying a "weapon".  

[Image: c26-BD-B002I06KIQ-5lg.jpg]

I thought the Beadlock system was a joke until I saw a video.  It takes about as long as drilling three dowels and alignment is not as fussy as dowels.  My gut reaction is that it is probably as strong as a three dowels, but I have no data to support that notion.   The tenons are more expensive than dowels, but I use this from time to time (much faster and easier than using my mortise machine and tenon jig, (but mostly  I had doing the math on the sizes of the parts.)

[Image: 61OKk9VxyTL._AC_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
After making a mess of a project, I bought the MiterSet tool. I no longer rely on the wonky marking on my miter. This thing is a dream to use. I think I use it at least once on every project. Also I am less hesitant to change angles on my miter for just one cut.
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
@bhh - Good call on the PicQuic.  Can't believe I didn't think of it.  I still have the stubby from the set I bought back in the 90's.  I ordered a new full size one with the Canadian bit set (more Robertson sizes, less Torx).  I've used them near constantly and been a fan since before people had even heard of the internet through when I used them yesterday.  I guess I've used them so long I forgot that they were gimmicky ;-))
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

+1 on the MiterSet.  I don't think twice about changing the angle.  It also makes even the cheapest miter gauge perfect for a few cuts.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood