Building face frame cabinets using just nails
Kitchen cabinets in my In-laws house were made like that.  They are over 60 years old and still holding up.  I re-finished them many years ago and a couple of the drawers have needed some TLC, but otherwise they are original.  I knew an old carpenter who was still building cabinets that way up until about 30 years ago.  He made a jig, much like a simple dowel jig, that he used to line up the finish nails to assemble the face frames.  He was a machinist by trade, so he knew how about precision.  His cabinets were simple, but well built and he never seemed to get any complaints.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

HGTV has a show called Home Town.  In one episode they called the cabinet maker "one of the best" and he was building on-site using butt joints and a nailer.  I did not see a bottle of glue and I don't think glue was used.  They don't show how the doors were made and perhaps those were made off-site. 

But it was butt joints and nails by "one of the best" in Laurel, Mississippi.  But with a population of less than 19,000 there might not be a lot of cabinet makers around.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-24-2020, 11:40 AM)Cooler Wrote: HGTV has a show called Home Town.  In one episode they called the cabinet maker "one of the best" and he was building on-site using butt joints and a nailer.  I did not see a bottle of glue and I don't think glue was used.  They don't show how the doors were made and perhaps those were made off-site. 

But it was butt joints and nails by "one of the best" in Laurel, Mississippi.  But with a population of less than 19,000 there might not be a lot of cabinet makers around.

In defense of that show (which AFAIK is hands down the best of the genre), they do usually make an effort to stay true to the origins of the house, and don't go 'completely HGTV'.  So if it was an old Craftsman, or they were matching something existing...