Bandsaw Blade for Ripping
The Griz 17 BS appears to tension a 3/4" blade quite well. I've had the saw and Timberwolf 3 TPI 3/4" blade for quite a while now and have not broken it. The cut from it is good enough that it can be cleaned up in a few minutes with a jointer plane. That is a lot of physical labor for an old man in the summer heat. Which leads me to the question.

What blade do I want for smooth cuts in 4/4 to 8/4 domestic hardwoods (soft maple, cherry, and walnut?) I've not resawn all that much but would like the capability (it is kind of addictive.)
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The woodslicer blades or a 3/4" resaw king.
(tradeoffs in longevity and price)

Matt
(06-18-2020, 07:57 PM)mdhills Wrote: The woodslicer blades or a 3/4" resaw king.
(tradeoffs in longevity and price)

Matt

Both those blades will cut very smoothly, so smooth that you can clean up the surface with a hand plane or ROS w/o much effort.  The difference is the Resaw King will last 10X longer which probably makes it the better value.  

John
(06-18-2020, 07:32 PM)cputnam Wrote: The Griz 17 BS appears to tension a 3/4" blade quite well.  I've had the saw and Timberwolf 3 TPI 3/4" blade for quite a while now and have not broken it.  The cut from it is good enough that it can be cleaned up in a few minutes with a jointer plane.  That is a lot of physical labor for an old man in the summer heat.  Which leads me to the question.

What blade do I want for smooth cuts in 4/4 to 8/4 domestic hardwoods (soft maple, cherry, and walnut?)  I've not resawn all that much but would like the capability (it is kind of addictive.)

I usually use a 3/8" 3TPI,works great and have never had an issue.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(06-18-2020, 09:07 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: I usually use a 3/8" 3TPI,works great and have never had an issue.

Mel

That's the blade I leave on my 14" Delta most of the time.  It does a fine job on 8/4 and thinner, even thicker stuff if you go slowly.  However, the cut quality is no where near good enough to easily clean up with a hand plane or ROS, which is what the OP asked about.  

John
Been very pleased with my Griz 17" bandsaw-bought saw new, tuned up as close as I could and stock blade served my well. Bought a Woodslicer with the saw and never put it on.

Yesterday, the lower tire shredded! Never had that happen before! Have new tires on order and when they arrive, will install new blade with them. I believe the new Woodslicer is the 3/8" 3TPI.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I honestly don't think you can beat a Lenox trimaster 1/2" blade. I can go straight from the saw to glue up. It can easily be tensioned on a 16" saw and seems to last forever.
Carbide tipped blade