Advice & Counsel Needed
(06-19-2020, 06:06 PM)cputnam Wrote: I'm trying to blame the SS on her but I agree with her.  At my age, it would be very unfair to her to have more body parts amputated.  She also makes a valid point that a SS will probably have a far better resale value than a Bosch, Dewalt or Hitachi.

Understood. Again, if someone wants to buy a SS, that's fine. I have nothing against them.
I was just trying to help you think through this.
If a SS is too expensive to buy (I don't know your situation), I think another table saw is better than no tablesaw at all.
This hobby is supposed to be fun, not frustrating. 

I also don't think it's a good idea to worry about resale value of tools.
I have seen you on the board for a long time, you are probably going to be doing woodworking as long as you are physically able to, so I hope resale doesn't play a huge part in the decision making.  I have been in and out of several hobbies, and trust me.. when you get out, you just want to get rid of stuff to declutter the house, resale value is not
as much of a concern. Hobby equipment is not an investment.

Just trying to nudge you towards accepting a "compromise" on the tablesaw, if a SS is too expensive,  so you can solve your problem. 
I am not trying to be hostile to you or sawstop.
Good luck with whatever you chose.
(06-22-2020, 08:08 PM)paul2004 Wrote: Understood. Again, if someone wants to buy a SS, that's fine. I have nothing against them.
I was just trying to help you think through this.
If a SS is too expensive to buy (I don't know your situation), I think another table saw is better than no tablesaw at all.
This hobby is supposed to be fun, not frustrating. 

I also don't think it's a good idea to worry about resale value of tools.
I have seen you on the board for a long time, you are probably going to be doing woodworking as long as you are physically able to, so I hope resale doesn't play a huge part in the decision making.  I have been in and out of several hobbies, and trust me.. when you get out, you just want to get rid of stuff to declutter the house, resale value is not
as much of a concern. Hobby equipment is not an investment.

Just trying to nudge you towards accepting a "compromise" on the tablesaw, if a SS is too expensive,  so you can solve your problem. 
I am not trying to be hostile to you or sawstop.
Good luck with whatever you chose.

Paul, never did take your words as anything but helpful - and I appreciate them.

I am now at the point of thinking that a screaming job site saw is probably not the answer. A table saw is of diminished use if it has to be st up every time one wishes to make a cut. So no I am looking at minimum footprint hybrids with mobile base.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(06-18-2020, 07:57 PM)cputnam Wrote: Related to my bandsaw blade thread, I've lately been going nuts with narrow rips.  
I am starting to get frustrated enough that I am contemplating the purchase of a table saw.  I really do not have the room for one and do not want to spend the money for a Sawstop which is about all my wife will willingly accept.  So please help me avoid a Table saw.

What are the finished dimensions you are trying to get with the narrow rips?

If the stock is thin, you can use a japanese cutting gauge.
If the stock is thick enough, consider a benchtop planer and running on edge?

A thicknessing jig for use with hand planes? (E.g., this one or this one)

I do use my tablesaw for consistent rips.
Splitter would be a minimum safety item;  microjig seems popular, but I haven't used.
Sawstop does make portable models.  I like the larger table surface (infeed/outfeed) of a full-sized saw, so whether this is a good tradeoff for you would depend on how long of stock you normally work with.

If using the bandsaw with a clean-cutting blade, can you work to the outside of the blade with a rip guide?
Matt
What is a bandsaw rip guide? I have a 2 fences and a miter gauge.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(06-24-2020, 07:07 PM)cputnam Wrote: What is a bandsaw rip guide?  I have a 2 fences and a miter gauge.

click on the link associated with "rip guide" -- the idea is to set up a stop so that you adjust your fence with every cut, and the thin rip is on the outside, rather than trapped against the fence.  Wasn't clear if that would work around the issues you were having.

Matt