AAW Virtual Symposium
(07-08-2020, 04:00 PM)crokettâ„¢ Wrote: Is there any discussion on Mr Clewes?

(07-08-2020, 05:15 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: His scheduled demo is next year, not part of this years package. A bunch of noise so far. Board meeting tomorow

I saw a very strange YouTube video the other day from Jimmy about an issue he has with the current President of the AAW. If what he posted is true, it sounds like that guy is a piece of work! You guys have any inside information on that dispute?
(07-08-2020, 03:57 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: With a tip jar. I'd have no issues with $20 a day.

The point wasn't about money....even if the entry price was $2. Virtual shows are of no interest to me. For the same reason all those free podcasts are avoided. Are there any paid for podcasts? I don't know.

Simon
(07-09-2020, 03:48 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I saw a very strange YouTube video the other day from Jimmy about an issue he has with the current President of the AAW. If what he posted is true, it sounds like that guy is a piece of work! You guys have any inside information on that dispute?
Sometimes when people in power or authority feel threatened even by small things, they can behave less than rationally. In this case, it looks like Jimmy isn't allowing anyone to push him around. May be this is a wake-up call about checks and balances for the whole organization and the decision-making body.

Any board --for profit or not -- that allows its president or chairman to dictate however he or she likes means the rest of the board also fail as they aren't doing their job as an independent board member.

Don't you think your $20 better go to some woodturning supplies?

Simon
(07-09-2020, 06:17 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Sometimes when people in power or authority feel threatened even by small things, they can behave less than rationally. In this case, it looks like Jimmy isn't allowing anyone to push him around. May be this is a wake-up call about checks and balances for the whole organization and the decision-making body.

Any board --for profit or not -- that allows its president or chairman to dictate however he or she likes means the rest of the board also fail as they aren't doing their job as an independent board member.

Don't you think your $20 better go to some woodturning supplies?

Simon

Really?? $20, is far better spent learning a new technique, I assume you know what the AAW symposium is. Just by your assessment I'll say you have no dog in the AAW situation or even understand the back story
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(07-09-2020, 03:48 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I saw a very strange YouTube video the other day from Jimmy about an issue he has with the current President of the AAW. If what he posted is true, it sounds like that guy is a piece of work! You guys have any inside information on that dispute?
My thoughts
Clewes vs AAW. Was handled in June, Clewes signed the agreement, Clewes puts out video in July bashing AAW???

Mary Lacer, 10 years ago, different board, she admitted some wrong doing, I don't know. And really not an issue now IMHO

The AAW board has always been dumped on by the membership. It's volunteer positions and sometimes you get what you pay for. Members get to elect the board so, it can be changed, but not by whining about it here
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(07-09-2020, 07:20 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: Really?? $20, is far better spent learning a new technique, I assume you know what the AAW symposium is. Just by your assessment I'll say you have no dog in the AAW situation or even understand the back story

Big shot. How much do you know about me? My background or woodturning?

For me, my woodturning skills/techniques are more than good enough...way more. Ain't need any new techniques.... $20 is good for stocking up some more wax. Dollars going to AAW? It'd be a waste.

Simon
(07-09-2020, 05:51 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The point wasn't about money....even if the entry price was $2. Virtual shows are of no interest to me. For the same reason all those free podcasts are avoided. Are there any paid for podcasts? I don't know.

Simon

I have heard of some individually paid podcasts but I have not watched any. Some of the woodturning clubs are participating in virtual meetings with virtual demos. So far, our local club has been covering the attendance cost of our members.

Some of the virtual demos have actually been easier to see than in-person demos at the club.

Virtual demos are not for everyone, but I have been giving them a try. I am not sure if they are better or worse than attending a demo in a ballroom and being 20'-30' back from the lathe and having to watch things on the monitors distributed around the room.

If they have no value for you, then that is fine with me. I will not twist your arm to spend any time watching one.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.