Mower won’t turn off
Briggs pull start mower.  Someone gave it to me and said if I could get it running I could keep it. It was leaking fuel around the carb bowl.  I replaced the fuel
line, went over the carb and replaced some parts and discovered the throttle cable was broken so replaced that.   It also has a new spark plug and air filter.  The problem now is it won't turn off without me pulling the spark plug wire.   I posted pics of what is attached to the throttle cable.  I think that what is supposed to happen is when the throttle is moved to off, the mechanism acts as a switch and is supposed to ground the spark plug to the frame. The first pic is the top view, the second is the side view. In the second pic the wire running off to the left runs under the engine housing.  It's unclear to me why the short wire is there at all. It seems to be firmly attached.  I haven't taken the housing off because I'd have to take the start assembly off and I swore after my first one that I'd never do another starter recoil spring. The mechanism does move the way it is supposed to.  The choke and throttle work otherwise. I can't find a parts diagram for this to see if I understand correctly how it is supposed to work. I'm wondering about just wiring in a kill switch.

Attached Files Image(s)

Try this google search for parts drawing.  Add the model number to be more specific:  https://www.google.com/search?q=briggs+a...lTYzxiXjfM
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The short wire goes to the grounding switch. The long wire from the magneto. Ground the long wire and the mower shouldn't start, if it does, that wire lost connection somewhere.
If it doesn't start, then check the switch that it is grounding.
You can use an exterior toggle switch if you want to or order a new OEM switch.
(06-24-2020, 09:45 AM)daddo Wrote: The short wire goes to the grounding switch. The long wire from the magneto. Ground the long wire and the mower shouldn't start, if it does, that wire lost connection somewhere.

+1

He might also try cleaning the short wire terminal where it clips in.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-24-2020, 09:45 AM)daddo Wrote: The short wire goes to the grounding switch. The long wire from the magneto. Ground the long wire and the mower shouldn't start, if it does, that wire lost connection somewhere.

thanks.  that's what I thought.  To be honest I'm not sure why it is set up the way it is.  Seems to me the wire from the magneto could just be connected where the short wire is on the clip.

(06-24-2020, 10:37 AM)crokett™ Wrote: thanks.  that's what I thought.  To be honest I'm not sure why it is set up the way it is.  Seems to me the wire from the magneto could just be connected where the short wire is on the clip.

To make it easier to work on or replace the switch and also vibration.
A couple of thoughts...

1)  Just put enough gas in it for what you want to mow.  You'll get better at it as you go along.  

2)  Pull the plug wire when you're done.

- or -

3)  Ignore my advice and use the advice of those who know their @$$ from a hole in the ground because clearly, I don't.

Wink 

I'd pick #3.

Yes
Reminds me of the mower I used as a kid (my Dad's). We had a shovel that we'd use to short out the spark plug to turn it off
Smile He ended up replacing it rather than fixing it.
Years ago when I was a kid we had a lawn boy that had a piece of metal fastened to the spark plug base overhanging the tip. To shut it off you gently pushed on it grounding out the plug.
The good part is that grounding the primary of the magneto doesn't produce the 20,000 volt shock.

I remember those metal flanges you pushed with your finger against the plug to shut it down- I got hit once as a kid and used a wood stick after that.