Questions re: entry steps?
If you do decide to re-build your steps, there is a old rule of thumb for exterior tread/riser ratios: 2 X riser height plus the width of the tread should equal 27 or 28. This makes a very comfortable set of steps. So, if you have a riser of 6" the tread should be 15" or 16".
Frankly, I think three risers of 7" is too high. I would divide the total height by 4 and put in 4 risers of 5.3". If you build a landing, the first step out the door would be one of those 4. Just my opinion.
3 steps, handrail not required.

But... it should have a landing at the top of the steps before entry.

The inspector should have noted "uneven risers". They should all be within 1/4" of each other.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

More food for thought, thanks everyone. Gotta think this over and talk with LOML.

Always appreciate the WN knowledge base and willingness to share.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Wisconsin code. All risers must be within 1/4" of each other. Maximum 8"rise and minimum 9" treads. Landing is not required unless ther is a storm door installed. My home is somewhat similar. No handrail required, but I added one when my wife bacame more unsteady on her feet. Mine is on the knob side. Now that I am having more health problems, I find it much safer.
Growing up, my parents' had a concrete landing that was probably 4 feet deep and about 6 feet wide (though I could be generous about one foot in each directions).

There was never a hand rail against the wall nor a railing to to prevent you from falling off the stairs into the bushes. 

When my parents got older, at my sister's insistence, she, my brother and I chipped in and had a welded railing and a hand rail installed.  That was after living in the house for 45 years with no accidents. 

I just googled the house which I have not seen in over 20 years.  The new owners apparently  did not like the railing and it and the hand rail have been removed.  I cannot imagine the thinking behind that. 

Here is the house:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/748+Le...73.5610462
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-25-2020, 02:20 PM)Cooler Wrote: I just googled the house which I have not seen in over 20 years.  The new owners apparently  did not like the railing and it and the hand rail have been removed.  I cannot imagine the thinking behind that. 

Here is the house:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/748+Le...73.5610462

Can't really imagine that house without handrails.

We're discussing options on how to move forward. It's not evident in the photo but the entry is at a 45* angle which complicates lengthening the steps.

Thanks again, g

A radius on the stoop would resolve the 45 degree angle bit (maybe).

[Image: 1a6fa69ab180690d86e1b31ebf176c78.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
[quote='Cooler' pid='7875995' dateline='1593117390']
A radius on the stoop would resolve the 45 degree angle bit (maybe).

Thanks Cooler. Headed outside tomake a drawing of the existing steps to brainstorm.

Appreciate everyone's interest,
g

Seeing that you were a door gunner in '68, that'll put you around my age (72). It's not going to get any easier using steps so you might consider 5" rise between steps for future considerations. I did something similar several years ago at a retirement community. The residents thanked me.

You also might consider very little step down if you're building a landing. I'm thinking wheelchair. Not wishing you any bad luck, just looking towards the future.

Jim
Halfa,
Yup. Considering all the opportunities Charlie gave me not to see 21, I'm considering my age a minor miracle. Thanks for the info,

g