Cost to remove solar panels for a re-roof?
(04-14-2022, 08:47 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Not to hijack this thread, but does taking the panels off leave the house with no power until they are reinstalled?

Good question, but I don't think so.  There's a disconnect switch next to the inverter outside that isolates it from the house's main panel--as I understand it.  Throwing that switch should not shut off power to my house.  I also figure that at night when there's no sun, the house is still powered.

I posted in a separate thread, but our renters over a year ago reported a leak over the kitchen/dining room ceiling (under the panels).  It turned out to be condensation from inadequate attic insulation, but in the scramble to have the attic inspected, roofers out, etc, I also got updated pricing on the panel removal.  The best price I got was $2200 for just removal.  The house is going to need a new roof in a few years so I've got that to look forward to.
Rolleyes
Unfortunately, I paid about $4.5k
it isn't rational but I had no choice
I recently ran into this issue . We were looking to buy a house which needed a re roof. It had solar panels on it. I called the Solar company, Sunrun and after a lot of poking around found out the answer. It is $ 170 per panel to remove (not sure if it costs another 170 to replace). Hope this helps.
around here a lot of roofing companies also do solar,  and solar companies are starting to do roofing.

having a single company do both, could be beneficial if there's a leak, then there's only one company that could be at fault....

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark