Band saw purchase
I’m thinking about getting a new 14" band saw this fall and I’m starting to look around now. 

I’ve been looking at these three: JWBS14-SFX, Jet 710116K JWBS-14DXPRO, Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS.  Anyone here have experience with any of them? I’m finding a few reviews online but would welcome any input from members of this site.  

Also, all of these are available from multiple vendors—at the same price. Any preferences on where to buy? I’ve bought small power tools from the online sellers but nothing this big or this expensive.  I’d appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Thanks!
(06-24-2020, 07:49 PM)BillinIN Wrote: I’m thinking about getting a new 14" band saw this fall and I’m starting to look around now. 

I’ve been looking at these three: JWBS14-SFX, Jet 710116K JWBS-14DXPRO, Powermatic 1791216K PWBS-14CS.  Anyone here have experience with any of them? I’m finding a few reviews online but would welcome any input from members of this site.  

Also, all of these are available from multiple vendors—at the same price. Any preferences on where to buy? I’ve bought small power tools from the online sellers but nothing this big or this expensive.  I’d appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Thanks!

If they are all in equally good condition, I would take the Powermatic.....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-24-2020, 07:49 PM)BillinIN Wrote: I’m thinking about getting a new 14" band saw this fall and I’m starting to look around now. 

Thanks!

Not interested in Grizzly or Shop Fox?

Doug
Not sure this is what you want to hear – but I would skip the cast frame saws and just look at steel frame re-saw BS’s .

I was going to recommend the Grizzly GO 457 (an excellent re-saw BS and which is what I have – after much research), but apparently it has been discontinued. It looks like its replacement is the Grizzly GO817 (https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...rake/G0817). It is in upper end of the price range you are looking at and the same price as the Powermatic – but has much more capability (namely a 2HP motor and  a 13” re-saw capacity).

IMO you will not regret moving to a steel frame re-saw capable BS. Just my $.02
IMO, I think the Powermatic is the higher quality saw.  But if you go that route, go ahead and buy the riser kit, install it when you get the saw and be done with it.  Of course, bandsaw blades will have to be bought at the increased size as well.

I have a Delta 14" bandsaw.  It is one of the last USA-made models, and I got it new in 2002.  I found the 6" height capacity became a real limiter within a couple of years.  I got a riser kit while Delta was still making them.
(06-24-2020, 11:28 PM)Don_M Wrote: Not sure this is what you want to hear – but I would skip the cast frame saws and just look at steel frame re-saw BS’s .

I was going to recommend the Grizzly GO 457 (an excellent re-saw BS and which is what I have – after much research), but apparently it has been discontinued. It looks like its replacement is the Grizzly GO817 (https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...rake/G0817). It is in upper end of the price range you are looking at and the same price as the Powermatic – but has much more capability (namely a 2HP motor and  a 13” re-saw capacity).

IMO you will not regret moving to a steel frame re-saw capable BS. Just my $.02

Thanks for the feedback.  The larger Jet says it has a steel frame.  Am I missing something?  THX
(06-25-2020, 06:13 AM)WxMan Wrote: IMO, I think the Powermatic is the higher quality saw.  But if you go that route, go ahead and buy the riser kit, install it when you get the saw and be done with it.  Of course, bandsaw blades will have to be bought at the increased size as well.

I have a Delta 14" bandsaw.  It is one of the last USA-made models, and I got it new in 2002.  I found the 6" height capacity became a real limiter within a couple of years.  I got a riser kit while Delta was still making them.

Agreed.  I definitely want resaw capability.  I believe this saw now comes with the riser block.  THX
Look for a quality used machine and save about 50%.
Wood is good. 
(06-25-2020, 06:34 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: Look for a quality used machine and save about 50%.

^^^^^^^ If you want a cast iron saw.  There are so many used 14" Delta's out there you'd be foolish not to look for one before buying new.  

John
(06-25-2020, 01:17 PM)jteneyck Wrote: ^^^^^^^ If you want a cast iron saw.  There are so many used 14" Delta's out there you'd be foolish not to look for one before buying new.  

John

I agree 100% with John & the others; either find a vintage Delta 14” saw or buy a modern 17” steel frame. Buying a new cast iron 14” saw is just throwing money away.