Band saw purchase
(06-25-2020, 04:47 PM)jlanciani Wrote: I agree 100% with John & the others; either find a vintage Delta 14” saw or buy a modern 17” steel frame. Buying a new cast iron 14” saw is just throwing money away.

Well...I've been looking for a used saw, but around here (Northern Indiana) everything is much smaller, cheaper units. 

The larger Jet I mentioned says it is a steel frame.  See link below. Thanks for the feedback.

Also...$1,500 is about the max I can go. 

https://www.toolnut.com/jet-tools-714400...gJ_zPD_BwE
(06-25-2020, 07:18 PM)BillinIN Wrote: Well...I've been looking for a used saw, but around here (Northern Indiana) everything is much smaller, cheaper units. 

The larger Jet I mentioned says it is a steel frame.  See link below. Thanks for the feedback.

Also...$1,500 is about the max I can go. 

https://www.toolnut.com/jet-tools-714400...gJ_zPD_BwE

I would confirm that it's hard to find a decent used bandsaw in Northern IN!!  I've got a Ridgid 14" cast iron with riser block that i'd sell--haven't used it in 2 or 3 years.  Decent saw, but picked up a steel framed Laguna a few years back and while i intended to remove the riser and use the Ridgid for what it was built for--just haven't done it.  Also haven't gotten around to trying to sell it either.  Every now and then i think about moving it from garage to basement (near my lathe)--but i'm out of space there too!!
earl
(06-24-2020, 07:49 PM)BillinIN Wrote:  I’ve bought small power tools from the online sellers but nothing this big or this expensive.  I’d appreciate your thoughts on this. 

Thanks!

I'll add my vote for a steel-frame bandsaw.

I had a 1HP cast iron JET with a riser block and had so much trouble with resawing.  Any resaw cut over 4 or 5 inches would wander and "barrel"   I tried everything! 

Wheels coplaner
Guide bar parallel
New stiffer spring
New urethane tires
New blade(s)
New guide blocks
Tracking at different places on the wheels
New fence

Finally, I sold the JET and bought a Grizzly G0513 steel frame 2HP bandsaw and the difference is night and day.  I've resawn 10 inch white oak with a 1/2 inch 3TPI blade and the cut was dead straight.

If you plan to resaw, do yourself a favor and go with a steel frame saw.

Mike
(06-25-2020, 06:27 AM)BillinIN Wrote: Agreed.  I definitely want resaw capability.  I believe this saw now comes with the riser block.  THX

When I looked for a saw with 12" resaw capacity, I didn't buy a saw with 6" resaw capacity and then an afterthought. I bought a saw designed with 12" resaw capacity out of the box. In my case a Rikon 10-325. If I already owned a cast iron saw with 6" resaw I'd have considered an aftermarket riser block.
(06-25-2020, 07:18 PM)BillinIN Wrote: ...I've been looking for a used saw, but around here (Northern Indiana) everything is much smaller, cheaper units...

You're not trying hard enough.

https://southbend.craigslist.org/tls/d/r...47248.html
Wood is good. 
(06-26-2020, 01:58 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: You're not trying hard enough.

https://southbend.craigslist.org/tls/d/r...47248.html

^^^^^^^^^^

Search by 'band saw' and 'bandsaw', and, expand your search area to the distance you'd be willing to drive to get one. They're out there but it takes patience and determination. Rent a pickup or trailer if you need one and be ready to make a move. A nice one wont' last long.

That saw EZ points to would be a great saw.
I just want to say you're getting REALLY GREAT ADVISE.

+1 Used (I got a perfect 14" classic Delta for $400)
+1 Grizzly (they are easily the best bang for the buck)

If you're going for something new, def look at the Rikon. It is my favorite for a bit more money (but you get a lot more so it's worth it). 

I use that Jet at work. It's ok. There are better saws. 
The classic Powermatic is ok too but there are better. Powermatic doesn't get interesting until their 15" and up (and those are quite dreamy and quite $$$).
It may be that a steel framed saw is vastly superior to a cast iron one, but I don't agree with the idea that it's difficult to resaw with a cast iron one. 

You do need to tune the saw, but the most important thing is a very sharp blade, with a slow enough cut that the dust fits in the gullets, as described here.  (In my opinion, many new blades come too dull for resawing, so either spend there or sharpen.  If the blade's not sharp enough, it won't cut slowly enough for a low powered saw.)

There may be some defective saws, but Delta type 14" saws are capable.   I have resawn 11" of maple even using a Harbor Freight bandsaw with only minor modification.  Yes, straight and flat but slowly, and my 1952 Delta with a larger motor is better.  Of course, if you plan on doing that frequently, buy a saw designed for it, preferably bigger than 14".
(06-26-2020, 04:38 PM)gov.cheese Wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^

Search by 'band saw' and 'bandsaw', and, expand your search area to the distance you'd be willing to drive to get one. They're out there but it takes patience and determination. Rent a pickup or trailer if you need one and be ready to make a move. A nice one wont' last long.

That saw EZ points to would be a great saw.

I saw that one.  Seems a bit high for a used machine.  For a bit more I could get something new- like the one below. What's the consensus on this Grizzly?  Thanks.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...gKhavD_BwE
(06-27-2020, 09:45 AM)BillinIN Wrote: ...What's the consensus on this Grizzly?...

The Grizzly is a smaller, inferior machine with less capacity.
Wood is good.