Cyclones
I've been thinking off and on about upgrading to a cyclone from my 2HP Grizzly DC since I'm not in my low-ceiling garage anymore. There's a used Jet cyclone not too far away, but I've read that they aren't the best design. I've also been looking at the Laguna C-flux. They seem to get good reviews. I think the local Woodcraft has one in stock, but the site says call to verify. Thoughts on either?
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
The C-Flux is designed to fit under a low ceiling.  It is likely a very good design for that, but is much less effective at collecting dust than a taller one of the same power.  Matt Cremona (see his youtube channel) has one and his assessment is that it's a good solution for him, but he would definitely not buy it if he had taller ceilings.  Incidentally, separation initially worked very poorly until a piece was added that approximates a Thien baffle.

See Matt's discussion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wtI_BJruAc
I love my Cflux2.
I don't do a lot of woodworking these days but never get a noticeable amount of dust in the small bag.
Very much like my Oneida some of the best money I spent in the shop.
"The C-Flux is designed to fit under a low ceiling. It is likely a very good design for that, but is much less effective at collecting dust than a taller one of the same power. Matt Cremona (see his youtube channel) has one and his assessment is that it's a good solution for him, but he would definitely not buy it if he had taller ceilings."

Well, my height limit is 14'. I have 20a 240V. Other suggestions?
Oneida.....I have the 3hp Dust Gorrilla, money wisely spent.

Ed
(06-26-2020, 09:05 PM)EdL Wrote: Oneida.....I have the 3hp Dust Gorrilla, money wisely spent.

Ed

+1

Id be hard pressed to consider anything else for a dust collector. 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I'm increasingly biased against Laguna. They seem to rely to much on whiz bang aesthetics but there's a trend where they cheap out in the details. But man: they LOOK BEAUTIFUL! 

My best advise is look for a used cyclone. Depending on where you live you might get lucky or it might take a while. I was in your same shoes a couple months ago. I went down the Bill Pentz rabbit hole. Pentz is, ahem, long winded. To paraphrase his book-in-the-shape-of-a-website: folks need a much stronger motor than tool companies will lead you to believe. I entered this thinking I needed a $800 solution and Pentz makes an elegant argument [although somewhat controversial depending on who you talk to so take his counsel with a grain of salt] to spend double or triple that. 

Pentz's point is that you need at least 1000 CFM at the machine seems to hold water to me. But ugh: that's a lot of dough. You start looking at Oneida's and all the sudden you're looking at $3K+ machines. 

Plus ducting. It can easily be $1K in ducting. Oh my. 

However, you can find deals used. I picked up a used Oneida and ducting for MUCH less than it was new. Here's that story. 
"My best advise is look for a used cyclone."

That's why I was asking about the used Jet 3hp cyclone nearby for a little cheaper than the 2hp Laguna new.

Woodworking isn't as common out here as back East, so less used tools on the market.

I think a new Oneida is out of budget range for now. My 2hp Grissley does okay with the Wynn filter (and yes I've read all of Pentz's stuff), and short hoses for a single machine at a time. I don't have a ducting system yet. Cleaning out the filter and emptying it as often as needed gets old.
"However, you can find deals used. I picked up a used Oneida and ducting for MUCH less than it was new."

Yeah, if I found that deal I'd jump on it in a second.