Moving to Florida
I don't know that you will be able to keep them completely rust free down here.  I never have with mine.  Some hand tools I keep in the house even get a little rusty.
If its climate controlled you should be in pretty good shape.

I would still coat them with wax beforehand.
I appreciate all the answers. I've got Boeshield, paste wax, wax paper, grease and plywood. That should take care of it!
I'm not so sure I would use all of them at the same time. For example, on a table saw top I would go with the Boeshield, wax paper, and plywood. I don't think paste wax/grease on top Boeshield is going to work, but I may be wrong. The Boeshield "dries to a waxy waterproof coating" so adding wax may not be necessary. The wax paper and plywood will also help in keeping the moisture out. Good luck and welcome to Florida.
(06-27-2020, 06:11 PM)OBG53 Wrote: I live in So. Florida and have stored things in an indoor storage location without issues or coatings but it won't hurt to do so. I also have a shop/shed with a mini-split unit in it and have cast iron tools inside. What I do when I go on vacation is to spray the tops (jointer tables & fence/table saw top/band saw table/DP column & chuck) with Boeshield T-9 or CorrosionX  and cover it with cardboard or plywood. I learned this trick after reading it on a forum somewhere. Apparently the cardboard/plywood keeps the moisture off the cast iron top. For now, it has worked for me quite well. I'm sure there are other methods that are also effective.

Error!

Does not compute.

Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(06-30-2020, 12:36 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: Error!

Does not compute.

Big Grin

I understand the error in it not computing.
Laugh

We prefer to vacation outside of Florida. How many times can we go to the beach on Siesta Key, Disney, or Universal. 
Sleep 
We prefer to go to Alaska, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Colorado skiing, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. Much more to see than animated things, sand, and salt water. 
Yes
Wink
(06-30-2020, 06:06 PM)OBG53 Wrote: I understand the error in it not computing.
Laugh

We prefer to vacation outside of Florida. How many times can we go to the beach on Siesta Key, Disney, or Universal. 
Sleep 
We prefer to go to Alaska, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Colorado skiing, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. Much more to see than animated things, sand, and salt water. 
Yes
Wink

The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side of the fence.

Spoken by a guy on this side of the fence . . . to a guy on that side of the fence.

Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Don’t get too close to the ocean, it WILL rust your tools and surprisingly fast.
VH07V  
Thank you for sharing
(06-27-2020, 05:11 PM)dg152 Wrote: We're pulling up stakes here in middle Tennessee and moving to Florida in a couple of weeks to be closer to the kids and grandkids.  Can't wait for the move to be over with (my back is already hurting!).

I'm going to be moving my shop which includes several items with polished cast iron working surfaces.  These items are going to be placed in climate controlled storage for at least 3 months while our house is being built.  What's the best way to keep these surfaces rust free?  I thought about using regular grease and once we're moved in use kerosene to clean it off.

Any other thoughts?

Doug
A light coating of grease will prevent moisture and oxygen from reaching the surface causing the rust...Later on, when you have settled in, you can just keep a lightly oiled rag in a lidded container and wipe the bare metal surfaces with it occasionally. I have done that for about 70yrs now....
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset