tablesaw pulleys
I’m in the process of replacing the pulleys on my Jet 10” Contractor table saw. I know the motor pulley is adjustable, but is the arbor pulley also adjustable. I’ve never done this before, and I’m afraid to remove the arbor pulley and not be able to put in the right spot if it’s adjustable. Hope that made sense. Thanks
Scribe a mark on the shaft so you can return it to that place if required. If you are changing both pulleys (to machined pulleys I assume) you will need to align them. Contractor saws are not particularly picky about this alignment but, better is, well, better.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(06-28-2020, 12:20 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Scribe a mark on the shaft so you can return it to that place if required.  If you are changing both pulleys (to machined pulleys I assume) you will need to align them.  Contractor saws are not particularly picky about this alignment but, better is, well, better.

Thanks for the reply. Just went for it. Turns out the arbor pulley was in as far as it could go.
The new ones are in and the straight edge indicates a good alignment.
(06-29-2020, 08:35 AM)digger Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Just went for it. Turns out the arbor pulley was in as far as it could go.
The new ones are in and the straight edge indicates a good alignment.

That's good enough, then.  V-belts can tolerate quite a bit of misalignment, so minimizing it with a straight edge should be plenty good enough.

Ever seen the right-angle drive of a Corvair fan and alternator?  Or a quarter-turn belt drive, where a horizontal shaft drives a vertical shaft via v-belt, like my Dad's old mower?  The old Sears table saws from the 50's even had a sliding motor that didn't tilt as the arbor tilted, making it a 1/8th turn drive at 45 degrees.  
Laugh

There are best practice rules for doing that, but they'll operate for a hundred times the hours you can put on a table saw before needing a new belt.  

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-29-2020, 09:13 AM)TDKPE Wrote: That's good enough, then.  V-belts can tolerate quite a bit of misalignment, so minimizing it with a straight edge should be plenty good enough.

Ever seen the right-angle drive of a Corvair fan and alternator?  Or a quarter-turn belt drive, where a horizontal shaft drives a vertical shaft via v-belt, like my Dad's old mower?  The old Sears table saws from the 50's even had a sliding motor that didn't tilt as the arbor tilted, making it a 1/8th turn drive at 45 degrees.  
Laugh

There are best practice rules for doing that, but they'll operate for a hundred times the hours you can put on a table saw before needing a new belt.  

I loved my 63 and 65 Corvairs. Had to drop the engine a few times to replace the clutch (A young double clutcher).

My dad taught me the secret to no oil leaks.
(06-29-2020, 09:33 AM)daddo Wrote: My dad taught me the secret to no oil leaks.

What was that?  Don't use oil?  
Laugh 

My Monza, below, though I don't remember what year it was.  The Seiko Skyliner watch I found under the seat was worth more than the car.  
Laugh   Had more rust holes than body, but it did have that nifty dash shifter lever (no "park" position).  Also had a Greenbriar passenger van with manual trans, without the rear seats.  Neither had heat.

Greenbriar.  Probably original GM marketing pic. 

Jay Leno recently did a half hour on the ramp-side pickup version.  

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"