Luxery vinyl reccomendation
Going to put a new floor in basement. I am tired of carpet. I was set to get it from Costco until I read the reviews. Anyone got a product they like?
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
If your basement is at all prone to flooding I'd put down a floor that you can take up and then put back down as needed.

I went with CoreTec Plus HD luxury vinyl plank for my basement and it has been great.  I bought it through a flooring store and not one of the big box stores.  My understanding is that most all of those available through them have a wear layer that is at the lower end of the spectrum for thickness and durability.

This stuff has a cork backing so there is no need for an additional underlayment and it can be unsnapped and let to dry and reinstalled if there are water or flooding issues.
(06-29-2020, 08:58 AM)messmaker Wrote: Going to put a new floor in basement. I am tired of carpet. I was set to get it from Costco until I read the reviews. Anyone got a product they like?

I did the same in my basement four years ago.  Here's a link to the product I used:  Link  

The linked page has a link to install instructions if you'd like to look those over.  

Pic of the flooring installed (sorry for the poor lighting):

(06-29-2020, 09:39 AM)crokett™ Wrote: If your basement is at all prone to flooding I'd put down a floor that you can take up and then put back down as needed.

That's why I went with a lower-priced product.  I'd hesitate to call it luxury, but it's easy and inexpensive to fix.  I bought it on sale for < $1.50 / sq ft.  It's a floating floor that uses adhesive strips to adhere adjacent planks.  I chose that over clik-lock flooring for ease of repair and replacement of individual planks.  Good performance of the floor so far.  I have about 650 sq ft of that flooring installed in the basement.  I don't have a water issue down there, but you never know exactly what will happen with basement floors....
(06-29-2020, 12:38 PM)WxMan Wrote: I did the same in my basement four years ago.  Here's a link to the product I used:  Link  

The linked page has a link to install instructions if you'd like to look those over.  

Pic of the flooring installed (sorry for the poor lighting):

That's why I went with a lower-priced product.  I'd hesitate to call it luxury, but it's easy and inexpensive to fix.  I bought it on sale for < $1.50 / sq ft.  It's a floating floor that uses adhesive strips to adhere adjacent planks.  I chose that over clik-lock flooring for ease of repair and replacement of individual planks.  Good performance of the floor so far.  I have about 650 sq ft of that flooring installed in the basement.  I don't have a water issue down there, but you never know exactly what will happen with basement floors....

That is the boat I am in. Basement floor is problematic. I just took up the carpet whew. Dust from the garage,a bit of mold and a pet stain or two. It was time to go . The luxury vinyl seems to be the hot ticket for below grade. I just don't know witch one. I have seen prices from 1.25 to 6 bucks per square foot. I need almost 1000 st so it could get expensive in a hurry.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Each year Consumer Reports comes out with Kitchen and Planning guide and they review various flooring materials and list the best and the best buy of the bunch.  They are showing the 2019 version on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Consumer-Reports-...B07KSCG326

And apparently there is an online version for about half that price.

https://www.zinio.com/consumer-reports-k...uide-m1707

Or you can subscribe to Consumer Reports:  https://web.consumerreports.org/test/SEM...lsrc=aw.ds

Or you can wait until Barnes & Noble re-opens and buy a cup of coffee and read it for free.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-29-2020, 01:36 PM)messmaker Wrote: That is the boat I am in. Basement floor is problematic. I just took up the carpet whew. Dust from the garage,a bit of mold and a pet stain or two. It was time to go . The luxury vinyl seems to be the hot ticket for below grade. I just don't know witch one. I have seen prices from 1.25 to 6 bucks per square foot. I need almost 1000 st so it could get expensive in a hurry.

Ours was quite stinky when we moved in, too.  Pulling it was no fun.

We also have about 500 sq ft of bare concrete in the basement; that is where the mechanicals and some storage racks reside.  That's the only portion of the basement in which I have a water issue.  During heavy rains, I have a 10 sq ft patch that will get water penetration.  It's separated from the finished floor by about 25 feet of linear distance.

I still have to run a dehumidifier down there to keep it from smelling musty.  Mold is always a battle.  I could be convinced that painted concrete would be the best way to go in a basement.  Of course, that's not necessarily foolproof, either.
I saw luxury vinyl flooring adhered to the ground by magnets on TV.  A base sheet of rubberized magnet is applied to the floor and the individual tiles are adhered to that sheet by magnetic force only.  It allows quick replacement of worn or damaged tiles. 

Or cooler would be a couple of different tiles designs.  In an hour or two you can switch tiles in a room and make it feel new.  You could have a summer and winter flooring and change by the season.
Big Grin 

I would imagine this is more expensive, but I like the concept.  Especially if you have dogs or kids that might damage the tiles.

https://metroflorusa.com/metroforms.aspx
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
We used LVT's in our laundry room - cannot remember the brand. However if you are worried about flooding in the basement I have a solution. When we finished ours we put down a sheet of the black plastic drain-board that is used as part of waterproofing your basement walls. Think of the black dimpled plastic, on top of that we put Advantec plywood sheets. Then whatever we used for finish flooring. We have carpet, tile and cork (behind bar). Two summers ago we recieved over 5" of rain in a matter of hours, totally overwhelmed the sump pump AND the back up - water was POURING in all along the wall/floor seam and out of the sump pit. We had ZERO damage, the water simple flowed under the black plastic into the floor drains and out into the sewer. We have an unfinished storage area and I could not believe how much water was pouring out from under the floor to the drains. We have no musty smell, no mold, nothing...my neighbor had to replace all the flooring and drywall in his basement - said it was almost 1ft deep as it came up under the slab.
(06-29-2020, 12:38 PM)WxMan Wrote: That's why I went with a lower-priced product.  I'd hesitate to call it luxury, but it's easy and inexpensive to fix.  I bought it on sale for < $1.50 / sq ft.  It's a floating floor that uses adhesive strips to adhere adjacent planks.  I chose that over clik-lock flooring for ease of repair and replacement of individual planks.  Good performance of the floor so far.  I have about 650 sq ft of that flooring installed in the basement.  I don't have a water issue down there, but you never know exactly what will happen with basement floors....

A friend of mine has had his  walkout basement flood a few times.  When he bought the house it had carpet.  He has replaced it with a click-lock vinyl and laid it so that he can pull it up starting at the door where the water comes in.  Last year he and I dug about a 50' trench to bury a larger  1.5" line to upsize the 3/4" discharge line for the sump pump.  It turns out the pump needed replacing - it worked, just not well.   He also had some regrading done, that has helped considerably.