Removing Large Bathroom Mirror
(06-30-2020, 08:50 AM)TDKPE Wrote: That's very interesting.  My oldest wants to put large, thin mirrors up in his garage, which is his home gym.  But he's concerned about his small kids breaking a mirror and having broken glass come down.  I suggested putting them on the wall with mastic, using a notched trowel, but another option would be to use mastic and course fabric for a backing.  

But maybe tape would be just as effective.  I'll have to think about that one.  But your process has given me an idea.  
Cool

There are such things as plastic mirrors.  LOML has a full length plastic mirror.  That might be "just the ticket" for your son's application.  I think they're cheaper than glass mirrors, too.
(06-29-2020, 11:56 AM)Jack01 Wrote: I am remodeling the bathroom, which has large mirror 4' X 5.5 ' 
I have watched few you tube videos on how to remove the mirror.
I am going to attempt to remove the mirror,
Before I do that any advise ?

Thanks

I've done this with three such mirrors.  The first time I used the sliding a metal bar behind method with heat.  Took a long time.

The second and third more recently:  At the suggestion of the local glass guy (when i bought new beveled mirrors) I went to harbor freight and bought two double pad suction handles.  Put some crosshatch wide blue tape on it, leaving room for the suction pads, and got my goggles, lathe face shield and some leather gloves.  Attach suction handles near the top and give it repeated light pulls directly outward with even pressure, the adhesive actually gives way fairly easily, then move down and with even less pressure the whole thing just popped off.  I was pretty amazed.  These were 4' square mirrors.  One man job.  Be prepared for some drywall repair, but the actual removal went very smoothly.

Sounds worse than it is.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-30-2020, 08:50 AM)TDKPE Wrote: That's very interesting.  My oldest wants to put large, thin mirrors up in his garage, which is his home gym.  But he's concerned about his small kids breaking a mirror and having broken glass come down.  I suggested putting them on the wall with mastic, using a notched trowel, but another option would be to use mastic and course fabric for a backing.  

But maybe tape would be just as effective.  I'll have to think about that one.  But your process has given me an idea.  
Cool

An alternative is to use the mastic to glue it down to 1/4" ply or MDF or even masonite.  Then hang it to the wall.  That way if it falls to the floor the pieces will remain attached to the backer and the wall behind can have minimal damage.

I salvaged a mirror that I thought I could use but it was similarly glued to a board.  There were four holes drilled through the glass and the backer board a few inches from each corner.  My guess is that it was screwed to the wall at that point.  But note that if you wall is not perfectly flat screwing to it can stress the glass and cause a break.  The screws are called "mirror screws".

http://www.juliancassell.com/2182/hangin...ror-screws

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mirror+screws&ref=nb_sb_noss
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Like above, I just used door install shims. Tried to make sure the shims were on studs, then gently tapped them in, going in a circle, waiting, tapping...
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-30-2020, 03:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Like above, I just used door install shims. Tried to make sure the shims were on studs, then gently tapped them in, going in a circle, waiting, tapping...

If I were doing that I would definitely use a heat gun.  It softens and releases the adhesive.  On the small wall tiles (glass) about 90% of them came of unbroken.  That was that very thin glass but the tiles were just 12" square.  But I think if you are patient and use the heat gun you can get this off intact.   The big problem is that you don't really know when the mirror will let go, and it could come crashing down and shatter.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

Cool

The glass guys put large dabs of the adhesive every 18" or so, believe me, that's enough to hold it in place, it ain't going anywhere, and if you want insurance, then put some screw tabs along the edges, they make them for glass.  Using a notched trowel over large areas ensures that when removed (and plans can change) it will be a chit show trying to get it off.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-30-2020, 03:35 PM)Cooler Wrote: If I were doing that I would definitely use a heat gun.  It softens and releases the adhesive.  On the small wall tiles (glass) about 90% of them came of unbroken.  That was that very thin glass but the tiles were just 12" square.  But I think if you are patient and use the heat gun you can get this off intact.   The big problem is that you don't really know when the mirror will let go, and it could come crashing down and shatter.

Yes, heat gun would be a good idea.
On the *letting go*, I threw some movers blankets on the floor below, in case I dropped it.
I didn't.....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-29-2020, 11:56 AM)Jack01 Wrote: I am remodeling the bathroom, which has large mirror 4' X 5.5 ' 
I have watched few you tube videos on how to remove the mirror.
I am going to attempt to remove the mirror,
Before I do that any advise ?

Thanks

Thanks for everyone feedback. It is helpful
After reading all this and watching You Tube videos , I inquire to glass companies to remove the mirror, got a quote for $ 65.00
Compare that to the tools and material , I need to invest $ 50.00  which includes the two double pad suction handles, wood shims, duck tape etc. plus another person to help.
Well went with the glass company, the guy came and took the mirror off the wall in less than 7 minutes, took with him.
I feel that it was a god decision. No hassle and clean up.

PS , I did get another quote for $ 50.00 after the I made commitment to this glass guy.
The biggest one I have done was 9' x 42" I supported the length of it so there was not more than 1/4" drop.  Started working from one end and slowly got it loose waited for help to get it down replaced the counters and sinks and got help to put it back.  I went into thinking it could break and I would replace with 2 mirrors but working slowly the paper on the drywall gave
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Took down three: 4’x6’, and two 3’x5’. I ran picture hanging wire behind them going back and forth cutting the glue. Didn’t break any, but it was a very scary process!
VH07V