6" ducting material and source
Yep, grounding PVC is not needed, nor worth the trouble. I did it the first time (back in the 90s) and when I learned how much of a headache it is when you change something I've skipped it ever since. It might eliminate some statis shock, so there may be a small gain  in personal comfort...otherwise it's a waste of time and money.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-17-2020, 03:24 PM)aquaticjim Wrote: PVC can generate a lot of static electricity.  I know you really have to ground everything, and I am not talking about the ground plug on your tools.

That's fake news. I've never had any static discharge with my setup in the nearly 10 years it's been in place.
(06-29-2020, 10:17 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I just bought the 6” snap lock and fittings from Oneida themselves. I’m sure there were cheaper and/or local options but I ordered it all from my phone on the couch and it showed up in a few days. The extra money was worth it for the convenience. That’s been a few years ago now and I’d do it again.

+1

Easy peasy.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(07-18-2020, 05:41 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Yep, grounding PVC is not needed, nor worth the trouble. I did it the first time (back in the 90s) and when I learned how much of a headache it is when you change something I've skipped it ever since. It might eliminate some statis shock, so there may be a small gain  in personal comfort...otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

I've never even had a static shock from mine in over 20 years. The most time consuming job I had with PVC was making blast gates. I couldn't find 6" blast gates that didn't require lots o' duct tape so I made my own. Cut a 6" coupling in half for connectors, hardboard for the slide, cut a 6" hole in the hardboard where the hardboard was positioned when open. The biggest problem I had was finding hardboard smooth on both sides. I ended up using 1/8" hardboard, should have looked harder for 1/4". I could find all kinds of 1/4" hardboard smooth on one side but not smooth on both. Of course I knew even less when I made those than I know now.
Quote:PVC can generate a lot of static electricity.  I know you really have to ground everything, and I am not talking about the ground plug on your tools.

Yes - but - no you don't.

You may want to. And may - or - may not notice a benefit.  But this has nothing to do with need.
(07-24-2020, 09:37 PM)Cian Wrote: That's fake news. I've never had any static discharge with my setup in the nearly 10 years it's been in place.

No it is real.  I've been buzzed and routinely have the hair on my arms stand up getting close to a PVC duct and I been zapped after getting close to a duct then touching a metal blast gate.

I grounded all my blast gates since then.

Only an issue during the winter when we have low humidity.
I have a few fittings and some 6 inch snap together ducting that I got from ONIEDA.  Works good for me.  If you are interested in any of it, Let me know.  Make you a GREAT deal
.  I used shorter runs than I originally planned so there's a few feet of extra.  Not sure how much but I'd be glad to check.  Im in Wisconsin...not sure of what it would cost to ship it.
(08-18-2020, 09:14 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: No it is real.  I've been buzzed and routinely have the hair on my arms stand up getting close to a PVC duct and I been zapped after getting close to a duct then touching a metal blast gate.

I grounded all my blast gates since then.

Only an issue during the winter when we have low humidity.

This is second hand info - no personal experience so take this for what it's worth. I've heard of people using PVC ducting driving screws through the pipe and letting the screw stick into the pipe a very short distance. Wrap bare copper wire around the screw under the head before tightening the screw. Run the bare copper wire to a grounded surface. That's supposed to bleed off any static charge. Does it work? I have no idea but it seems plausible. I'm where it's humid so no static issues.
(07-17-2020, 10:02 PM)Tapper Wrote: Never been a recorded incident of PVC material causing a dust fire - just saying.

Doug

or collapsing
Haven’t seen a good PVC static electric shock discussion in a few years - they were always fun to watch.

Personal experience - I had 6” S&D pvc for about 10 years in my prior shop before going to metal ducting in my new shop. Was there static electricity? Yes. I knew because dust would stick to it and it would raise the hairs on my arms if I got very close (within an inch or so). Was it grounded? No. Did I ever get anything more than the hairs raised on my arms? No. I was more focused on dust collecting on the water heater and somehow have the pilot light ignite it than I was the little static that built up on the plastic pipe (and nothing every happened with that either).

In the end, if you’re concerned, then ground it. It’s a few screws and some wire. But I’ve never heard of a fire or any meaningful zap from PVC static build up.