Delta 17-965 Drill Press Belt Issue
I decided that I'd go over my DP since I have had it since 01 and just pull it out and use it and then shove it back in the corner.

Today was a good day for the DP. I fixed and adjusted/cleaned/lubed and looked for issues.

I did notice that the pulleys were not all in allignmnt. I got that straightened out (moved the idler and motor pulleys maybe 1/8").

I did notice that the belts were riding quite "high" in the pulleys and there was a lot of rubber "swarf" near the pulleys.

The belts are original and are labelled A27. They don't look like high quality units. They all have a small step in the face. The"A" profile is 1/2" but my pulleys are only a little over 7/16" wide at the widest part.

Should I worry? I don' think anyone makes a 7/16" belt that I know of. 3/8" yes but not 7/16". Maybe Metric?

Is this common to have the belt protrude like that?

I may just run it till it pukes and then deal with it.

Also, What is a good all around speed for a DP that is used for Wood working. I use small twist drlll and occasionally a Forstner that my go up to over 1". Softwood and hardwood mix.

Thanks all,

Mark
I'm sure there is a formula or guide to answer the speed question...but...
I use Forstner bits frequently and do not want to over heat any bit, so I generally run at one of the lowest speeds.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I'm guilty of running mine at the slowest speed. I can't remember ever changing it.
I am with Bill and Nick,  either the slowest speed or second slowest,  unless I put a buffing wheel attachment and then I speed it up.  It is hard to ruin the temper of a drill bit at slow speed, much easier at a high speed.
(07-02-2020, 01:29 PM)sawnuts Wrote: I did notice that the belts were riding quite "high" in the pulleys and there was a lot of rubber "swarf" near the pulleys.

The belts are original and are labelled A27. They don't look like high quality units. They all have a small step in the face. The"A" profile is 1/2" but my pulleys are only a little over 7/16" wide at the widest part.

Should I worry? I don' think anyone makes a 7/16" belt that I know of. 3/8" yes but not 7/16". Maybe Metric?

Thanks all,

Mark

I also have the 17-965.  My belts are exactly as you describe, 1/2" at the widest part of their profile and they stick out a bit.

[Image: 50070378006_1c48785d94_c.jpg]

[Image: 50070377976_61e300783f_c.jpg]
If you use it infrequently, the belts can take a "set." One way to prevent this is to replace them
with the segmented belt material. Harbor Freight carries it the cheapest. It is around five bucks
a foot, but worth it in less vibration, etc.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
The mis-alignment has worn the belts, go to Ace, you can get 2 new ones for 15-20 bux. No need to buy high dollar ones at an auto parts store.

Ed
I also have the Delta 17-965, over 20 years or so now. Never have changed the speed that I can remember and have never changed the belt(s). I have to say it has been one of the most reliable trouble-free power tools in my shop. I remember looking at the Grizzly and Jet options before deciding on it. Would easily buy it again.

Doug
Thanks everyone.

I tweaked the pulley alignment a little. I plan to just use the belts until they give up the ghost. They work and don't seem to introduce any vibration.

I turned down the speed a little to maybe 500 RPM. My belts don't seem to have a "set" as you mentioned.

Did some lube and squared up the table. Also turned down the quill return spring two notches. Quill goes up nicely.

I think this is a done deal.
(07-03-2020, 09:59 AM)sawnuts Wrote: I plan to just use the belts until they give up the ghost. 

Heck, I’m still using the belt that came with my 32” Delta radial arm drill press when I bought it new in the 70’s.  Same for the jointer belt.  And my Unisaw, which I bought new in the 90’s.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"