heavy tool delivery - lift gate service?
Hi,
I recently watched YT video about delivery and assembling of a bandsaw, very heavy at > 350lb. The owner had to use a tractor to go around house [but it is not the point].

He claimed that liftgate service was much appreciated - but as opposed to what? Truck only went a little into his property and put package on the ground. How does it work without liftgate?
For freight shipments you need to have a loading dock, or expect to offload by hand.  Lift gate service is usually an extra charge.
Not all delivery trucks have a lift gate. A lift gate, the driver will roll the item out onto the lift gate and lower it to the ground. The trucks without a lift gate will not be able lower the item to the ground. You would need a loading dock, fudge lift or a tractor with forks.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Tailgate delivery.  The driver will bring it to the tailgate of the truck or trailer with a pallet jack, but it's your responsibility to take it off the truck.  If you drop or break it doing that, it's on you.  

Liftgate service will put it on the ground.  If you're lucky, the driver will wheel it with the pallet jack to where you want it, if the ground is smooth and hard.  Worth a tip, too, as they don't have to do that (anything beyond 'on the ground'), and their company probably frowns on it.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have found the easiest thing to do when liftgate is NOT included in a freight delivery is to back my full size truck up to the semi trailer and slide the pallet/tool into my truck bed. My guess is that my truck bed is 12-18" lower than the semi so, off loading it isn't to bad. From there I'll either set-up ramps or get help to unload it from my truck.

Even easier is to go to the freight dock and have them load the delivery into a (low to the ground) utility trailer. This makes the whole process WAY easier than trying to get a 500# beast down to the ground from a truck bed or semi trailer. I have them use a forklift to load the trailer, drive it home and unload it from a bed height of 18" not 3-4'.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I've also done it using my pickup and using a set of loading ramps that you might use to load an atv into your truck. That way you can slide it down into your truck, reposition the truck and slide it off.
I just put the forks on the Bobcat and lift it out of the trailer....
Yes

One time I got a newbie driver, he made several pick-ups along his route, I was the last stop, not enough room to get my pallet out. I had to unload 3 pallets, then mine and reload the others.  
Slap

Ed
#350 slide it to the end pull off enough to slide it slowly to the ground if you are uncomfortable with that slide a couple of 2 x under it leave about 4' hang out and when it starts to slide the 2 x will support it and slow the slide.  I will give youtube a look to see if I can show you what I mean

Strange I must be using the wrong words in the search or it isn't there.  

Imagine sliding 2 x under the box, crate or whatever leaving enough out of the truck that when the load starts out the back and tips the 2 x lands on the ground at an angle and the crate can slide down.  Plywood works too but 2 x is easier to work with.  sort of like a teeter totter

You really never have to lift the entire weight as the lumber supports a good portion and all you have to do is control the slide
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Liftgate truck delivering my Laguna 14/12 bandsaw about 5 years ago. The shipping weight was 312 lbs.

[Image: laguna_bandsaw-truck.jpg]

The driver wheeled it into the garage for me....

[Image: laguna_bandsaw-6tsml.jpg]

[Image: laguna_bandsaw-16tsml.jpg]

And from there, I took individual pieces around back to the shop on a hand truck. I assembled it without further help with the aid of some 2x4 lumber for leverage.

Not having a fudge -lift or other means of getting it off the truck, I was grateful for the tailgate delivery.
Bill Schneider
I've had liftgate service by UPS freight 2 different times, both trucks were large straight, not semi trailers. UPS freight called me in advance to determine the logistics and size of truck to send. The driver backed into my gravel drive up to the garage door so that when he lowered the liftgate the lip was on the concrete floor. Then rolled the bandsaw onto the liftgate with a pallet jack, lowered then rolled it into the garage. Rinsed and repeated for a DC and a skid of Dricore.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone