Rockwell Unisaw
Guys got a Unisaw on CL for $100 bucks; lacks a motor and he says other than the broken motor mount everything works.
Rockwell plate with S/N 85-3139 and Milwaukee address which suggests a 1950s saw.
I can’t find if it was 3-phase or single?
Any input?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Consider this a bump, but does it help if you open up the electrical (on/off) switch.
Without a motor, does it really matter what phase it was? Those saws are difficult to find at that price, especially if it's in otherwise good condition.

You might be able to find an original single phase bullet motor over at owwm.org.

Doug
I don’t know much about these old machines; I thought their electrical systems were configured 3-phase or single phase and hard to convert.
If not, good news.
The saw is a few hours from where I am. I’d have to plan a day trip to check it out.

I already own a nice Unisaw; this would be at my second home where I have less space and much less shop.
Gary

(07-04-2020, 09:33 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I don’t know much about these old machines; I thought their electrical systems were configured 3-phase or single phase and hard to convert.
If not, good news.

I don't think it matters to the machine itself, you are only talking about the motor and how the wiring is connected, you have to fix the motor mount for sure, then find a 2 or 3hp motor with the right frame, some new belts, might need a new switch box, certainly a project that is worth your time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I would first try to find a 1hp bullet motor. Don't let 1 hp on a bullet motor fool you. Torque counts. Unless you find a 1725 rpm motor, you will have to change arbor pulley.
1hp bullet motors run real smooth. Passes penny test on startup and running.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
You might want to take a long look at the "broken" motor mount, making sure the break is on the motor (bracket welded to motor, IIRC) and not on what the bracket mounts to. As far as electrical, not a big issue since you're replacing the motor anyhow.

If the saw is now three phase, are you equipped to have three phase or are you going to convert to single phase (might be an easy brazing repair, if only on the motor) and also what phase (get a photo of the motor starter, both outside and inside). $100 might be all you have in it, but conversely, depending on the break, the cost of a motor, starter and switch, you might top $500. Get some photos here and anyone of a bunch of us can get you some guidance.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony
You’re post is what I’m most hesitant about—I don’t need to sink $500 in another Unisaw, no matter how cool it may look
Gary

(07-04-2020, 02:21 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Tony
You’re post is what I’m most hesitant about—I don’t need to sink $500 in another Unisaw, no matter how cool it may look

You need to see what else is broken, I have had plenty of them never had one with broken mounts turn up.  As for it being the motor only there is a place that sells the brackets you can weld on to a motor and that opens you up to options
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-04-2020, 02:21 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Tony

That's why I posted it! I've had several Unisaws through the years (one right now), along with a Grizzly 1023 and a high end Shop Fox. $100 is a dirt cheap price, if any a motor bracket is broken....BUT, if what the bracket bolts to is broken, then that's a larger repair. Changing the motor? Easy to do, bu if 3 phase now and you want to go single phase, then you'll need more than just the motor.

Get some pictures posted of what all is broken and the motor starter (opened and closed).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com