The aroma of wood
I have to agree that pine has a very nice smell, but as mentioned Sassafras is amazing.  Walnut sure is pungent but not a smell I actually enjoy.  Sapele has a nice aroma.  But my favorite is probably white oak because it reminds me of wine barrels and the lovely liquid they hold.  

Whatever wood scent you enjoy is another pleasure of time spent in the shop.   

John
Don't let her get a whiff of rosewood!
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Cutting bloodwood will addict you.
Just don't try "pee elm".
(07-05-2020, 08:42 AM)AHill Wrote: Love the aroma of pine also, but not what it does to my tools!

This is the association I have with pine, too.
(amazing how much better the tablesaw is after the blade gets a good scrub of pitch remover)

I like cherry when worked with hand tools.  (doesn't smell so good when burned with power tools)

Matt
(07-05-2020, 05:35 AM)fredhargis Wrote: To me it's sassafras.

I will second sassafras.  Makes the shop smell like rootbeer.
(07-05-2020, 07:52 PM)Scoony Wrote: I will second sassafras.  Makes the shop smell like rootbeer.

I trimed out my basement with sassafras, the smell hevenly
Walnut, White Oak, Cedar mmmmmmmm Cedar......
Cedar of Lebanon. I have some from a 200 year old tree that grew from a cutting brought from Lebanon by immigrants. The tree was blown over in a storm and a woodworking friend of a friend of mine acquired the trunk. When you got within a block from his shop the aroma was heavenly. He gave me a few pieces and I've been saving them for a special project. Every once in a while I get a piece out and scratch it a little. Wonderful scent.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(07-05-2020, 09:13 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: Nobody has mentioned Redwood?

Yes

Love everything about redwood, other than the memories of unloading railroad boxcars of it as a teenager. Splinters gathered from sliding in on our bellies to untangle shifted loads, 6" of mold on the boxcar ceilings, temperatures inside the RR car well into the triple digits in the middle of summer. Everything from mouldings to 4 x 12's 20 some ft long...
Ah yes, the good ol days 
But I still do love redwood, on the rare occasions we come across it here on the east coast...